U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:26 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Ditto, except I got a good, solid backup to the server and now I manually back up specific directories once a week on all connected computers. The reason is that if you get something like the OP did and it doesn't get caught before an auto backup - oops.

Having Home Server sure is nice.

I use Second Copy for backing up the server. It works as well for Windows.
I have WHS set to save 5 daily, 2 weekly, and 1 monthly image, so with something like the OPs attack (assuming that backup ran again and took an encrypted copy) I'd just pick an older backup.

We also use BackBlaze for offsite backup, but that's for catastrophic recovery as it's only select files.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:51 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Ditto, except I got a good, solid backup to the server and now I manually back up specific directories once a week on all connected computers. The reason is that if you get something like the OP did and it doesn't get caught before an auto backup - oops.
Exactly the reason I do a nightly backup of the real time backup

Old 01-08-2015, 08:55 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Agree with Macroy, I would absolutely do a wipe even if it was my computer (very tech savvy). I'd prefer the piece of mind knowing I am on a fresh install. Not to mention I backup everything and have very few programs installed so a wipe and reload for me takes less then 2 hours and I am right back where I was.

A buddy turned me onto this: Bvckup
Does one job. Backs up your stuff. Does it perfectly. I've become quite the fan.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:08 PM

548 posts, read 1,065,744 times
Is Carbonite a pretty good one to use for Back up?

I guess using One Drive (used to be Sky Drive) is just for Cloud Storage because I don't think it does automatic backup.
Is it safe for storage of photos and documents?

Old 01-09-2015, 09:15 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
I've been using Carbonite for years and have been very pleased. I had a catastrophic loss on a client computer (client's employee thought they knew what they were doing - not) and the restore from Carbonite wasn't the fastest, but downloading a few hundred gig never is. Files are double encrypted when saved on their server so they're safe as can be.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 AM

548 posts, read 1,065,744 times
Quote:
I had a catastrophic loss on a client computer (client's employee thought they knew what they were doing - not) and the restore from Carbonite wasn't the fastest,
Is the learning curve high for an average person to learn how to "know what they are doing"?

What would happen if the back up started right after an attach from the "crptolocker virus" and my files have been encriped by that virus? Would Carbonite regnize that and not back them up to replace my good files they have stored?

Also, is it possible to use both Carbonite and also another back up such as "Just a Cloud"?
I know that may sound a little like over kill but after what happened to me, I feel a person can't be too careful

Old 01-10-2015, 01:43 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post

1. Is the learning curve high for an average person to learn how to "know what they are doing"?

2. What would happen if the back up started right after an attach from the "crptolocker virus" and my files have been encriped by that virus? Would Carbonite regnize that and not back them up to replace my good files they have stored?

3. Also, is it possible to use both Carbonite and also another back up such as "Just a Cloud"?
I know that may sound a little like over kill but after what happened to me, I feel a person can't be too careful.
1. That depends a lot on the person trying to learn, some have no issues grasping backup concepts, some couldn't do it if their life depended on it.

2. Carbonite has no way to tell the difference, the files themselves aren't infected, just encrypted, it would back them up like any other file. BUT, Carbonite I believe keeps previous backups to a point, so you could go to a backup that was done the day before and recover your files.

3. You can back up to as many different media as you want, personally I would suggest a local backup and a cloud backup, not 2 locals or 2 cloud services.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:50 PM

4,584 posts, read 8,194,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Is the learning curve high for an average person to learn how to "know what they are doing"?

What would happen if the back up started right after an attach from the "crptolocker virus" and my files have been encriped by that virus? Would Carbonite regnize that and not back them up to replace my good files they have stored?

Also, is it possible to use both Carbonite and also another back up such as "Just a Cloud"?
I know that may sound a little like over kill but after what happened to me, I feel a person can't be too careful

My advice would be to contact the providers (be it Carbonite, mozy, crashplan, Gacier, etc.) or take advantage of the trials, and then make a decision based on that.

And file corruption etc. can be an issue. Specifically to your question - Carbonite actually has a FAQ on it: https://carbonite.service-now.com/ca...ticle=KB002312

I'd guess most will keep different restore points. But some may only offer it on more expensive tiers. Again, I'd look at all options and pick the one that best fit your needs.

As for "just a cloud". Keep in mind that "cloud storage" ≠ "cloud backup". In a sense, you can certainly use both. But also keep in mind the difference. One is just storage - which you can certainly use to keep backups, but may not necessarily automatically be a backup solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or