Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
NHDave, that link does not work !

WTH? It seems that CD's bad word filter is modifying the link

The Site is Foolish IT, when you combine Foolish and IT for the website, it creates a blocked word out of the last 4 letters.

Just google "crypto prevent", should be the first result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:30 AM

570 posts, read 1,285,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
WTH? It seems that CD's bad word filter is modifying the link

The Site is Foolish IT, when you combine Foolish and IT for the website, it creates a blocked word out of the last 4 letters.

Just google "crypto prevent", should be the first result.
Thanks.
Can I leave Malwarebytes installed as well if I use it, ... or is like the Anti-Virus protection (only one allowed)

NHDave, ..... do you think I need to have my hard drive wiped and reinstalled???

Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks.
Can I leave Malwarebytes installed as well if I use it, ... or is like the Anti-Virus protection (only one allowed)

NHDave, ..... do you think I need to have my hard drive wiped and reinstalled???

Leave Malwarebytes intact.

As far as the wipe and reload, there will be different opinions. My own answer can change depending on the client. If the infection has been completely removed you're not in danger any longer, you're just stuck with the leftover encrypted files you no longer have access to, but they can't re-infect the machine (yet, that may change in a future version, who knows). If the user is at least somewhat PC savy I usually won't do a wipe and reload unless the OS is obviously hosed (or I'll give them the choice), but for the completely non technical user I will, mainly so I know they're back to a fresh trouble free system.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I just read this, and it's very disturbing on so many levels:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/op...pagewanted=all
I mean, I read about such things happening last year, but looks like, still - there is no way out.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
This is but one of the reasons all my files are backed up in multiple location including the cloud. If I see that message - reformat. Screw them.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:54 PM

570 posts, read 1,285,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This is but one of the reasons all my files are backed up in multiple location including the cloud. If I see that message - reformat. Screw them.
When do you do your back ups?
Every day, .. every hour... or how often?

I had been trying to back up files on an external hard drive and also on a USB drive but it is something extra to have to do at the end of each day, which sometimes isn't until late at night and I am so tired I am seeing cross-eyed.. so I get lax.
Plus if I back up at the end of each day, and an attach happens in between that 24 hour period all that work is lost.
What I'm trying to say is, .... a person can't constantly back up every few minutes.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
When do you do your back ups?
Every day, .. every hour... or how often?

I had been trying to back up files on an external hard drive and also on a USB drive but it is something extra to have to do at the end of each day, which sometimes isn't until late at night and I am so tired I am seeing cross-eyed.. so I get lax.
Plus if I back up at the end of each day, and an attach happens in between that 24 hour period all that work is lost.
What I'm trying to say is, .... a person can't constantly back up every few minutes.

Maybe a person can't, but software can. I run sync software on my laptop that syncs new/changed files in real time to a Synology NAS, and have the NAS make a daily backup of those files to a different directory to specifically protect against the crypto malware.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:21 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Maybe a person can't, but software can.
^ This.

There are lots of good options for automated backup.

I have a Windows Home Server (a few hundred $ to build 5 or 6 years ago), and it backs up every machine in the house each night.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
^ This.

There are lots of good options for automated backup.

I have a Windows Home Server (a few hundred $ to build 5 or 6 years ago), and it backs up every machine in the house each night.
Ditto, except I got a good, solid backup to the server and now I manually back up specific directories once a week on all connected computers. The reason is that if you get something like the OP did and it doesn't get caught before an auto backup - oops.

Having Home Server sure is nice.

I use Second Copy for backing up the server. It works as well for Windows.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Use a friends computer... and lose a friend?

I am worried that the files that have been encrypted or the USB itself may still be harboring the infection and it would get in to my friends computer? Isn't that possible??
If not, then maybe I can just put in back into my own cleaned PC

By the way....... Do I need to have the Hard Drive wiped and reinstall Windows to be sure it is gone??

heh - well, I would certainly explain your situation first. And you are correct, if a friend came to me, that USB would not be going into a production computer/network. I would use a spare to help out. But my original point is that using a publicly accessible terminal has its own risks.

As for your last comment. That is really a personal decision. Do you have to? No. Plenty of people are fine with just removing the threat. I personally feel it's easier to rebuild than spend the time to investigate/remediate. It also gives me more peace of mind (and my computers are setup to make rebuilding it easy).

Also keep in mind that what's done is done. You can't really undo the damage (decrypt the files). Cleaning it off will simply remove that threat in order to make your computer usable again.

Not to beat a dead horse, but +1 on the backups. I'd also trace my steps back on what could have caused this. It would be extremely frustrating if you got this from an email/link. Not think about it, and click on that link again after you've cleaned your computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet