U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2015, 10:47 PM
 
4,366 posts, read 3,645,082 times
Reputation: 2928

Advertisements

Okay,

I'm dabbling with basic HTML, CSS, and Java. Now I would like to know how to start designing computer games. I know it's not an easy task. I just want suggestions for places to find basic programming information for 2D gaming that could maybe be transferred to an app. I don't want to learn new programming languages (unless maybe it's C# or something that can transfer to multiple platforms); I want something that can be done in Java or HTML, if possible. I don't mind much if it's a retro game; I'm just trying to learn more about programming languages and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2015, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,353 posts, read 16,134,983 times
Reputation: 5624
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay,

I'm dabbling with basic HTML, CSS, and Java. Now I would like to know how to start designing computer games. I know it's not an easy task. I just want suggestions for places to find basic programming information for 2D gaming that could maybe be transferred to an app. I don't want to learn new programming languages (unless maybe it's C# or something that can transfer to multiple platforms); I want something that can be done in Java or HTML, if possible. I don't mind much if it's a retro game; I'm just trying to learn more about programming languages and have fun.
If you are limiting yourself to web scripting: JS, HTML and CSS, then you are talking MUDs. These are normally text-based low graphic games that can be really fun!

Top 10:
The Mud Connector | Top 10 Text-Game Listings

I play this one:
MMArmy.com - The Online MMA Game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 03:02 PM
 
4,366 posts, read 3,645,082 times
Reputation: 2928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If you are limiting yourself to web scripting: JS, HTML and CSS, then you are talking MUDs. These are normally text-based low graphic games that can be really fun!

Top 10:
The Mud Connector | Top 10 Text-Game Listings

I play this one:
MMArmy.com - The Online MMA Game
I may try that out. I'm not limiting myself to web scripting, although I thought I could do a lot with it. No, I stand corrected, if I need to learn another programming language to create good quality games, what is the language, and where can I learn it? I'm open to that. I actually kind of want to design little arcade-style games that can be downloaded onto portable devices. What level of work and language are we talking about here?

I downloaded the Corona Simulator and Outlaw platform, as instructed by some online game making tutorial, but I haven't been able to get those to work. It keeps saying my screen resolution is too high...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,353 posts, read 16,134,983 times
Reputation: 5624
I am not a game programmer but from what I have seen C++ is most prevelant. C++ is a difficult language to learn, pointers, far function, multiple inheritance.

Mobile gaming have some good tools out there : objective c, .net, Java... That might make it easier. I would recommend learning something easier before walking into C++.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 03:14 PM
 
4,366 posts, read 3,645,082 times
Reputation: 2928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I am not a game programmer but from what I have seen C++ is most prevelant. C++ is a difficult language to learn, pointers, far function, multiple inheritance.

Mobile gaming have some good tools out there : objective c, .net, Java... That might make it easier. I would recommend learning something easier before walking into C++.
Is there a place to download objective c and not own an Apple device? I was directed to a website a few days ago, but the page required a developer subscription and an Apple device to run the software. I use a PC, so of course I was out. I then tried to use a ready-made game-making software, but it didn't function properly on my computer. I have Windows 8.

I'm looking for something close to the programming languages I'm already trying to learn, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,353 posts, read 16,134,983 times
Reputation: 5624
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Is there a place to download objective c and not own an Apple device? I was directed to a website a few days ago, but the page required a developer subscription and an Apple device to run the software. I use a PC, so of course I was out. I then tried to use a ready-made game-making software, but it didn't function properly on my computer. I have Windows 8.

I'm looking for something close to the programming languages I'm already trying to learn, if possible.
Surprisingly (to me) there are many HTML+Javascript mobile gaming tools:

Search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mobi...me+development

Some of the findings:
Quintus JavaScript HTML5 Game Engine
Phaser - Desktop and Mobile HTML5 game framework
Impact - HTML5 Canvas & JavaScript Game Engine

Tutorial:
HTML5 Game Dev Tutorials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 03:39 PM
 
Location: League City
3,477 posts, read 6,749,884 times
Reputation: 4187
HTML5 has led to an explosion of javascript based games, but that is still very different from a desktop game like Warcraft or Destiny. The latter are massive, and probably have game engines based on C++ and who knows what else is used to actually render the game.

I have gone through a bit of the course materials here, and they are crap, but it can give you a good idea of what can be done with HTML/Javascript:
https://www.udacity.com/course/cs255

If you are a retro gamer, this javascript library looks promising:
https://www.atari.com/arcade/develop...atari-createjs

Look up Safari Books and see if they still offer a free trial. There are tons of books solely about JS/HTML games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times
Reputation: 2654
If you are interested in desktop gaming (or even mobile), then you need to look into a gaming engine / framework that can do a large amount of the heavy lifting for you. Most have scripting capabilities that use other languages for customization.

For instance, Unity is one very popular engine that uses C# for scripting, and can build games for multiple platforms (desktop and mobile).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Greater NYC, USA
2,760 posts, read 2,819,717 times
Reputation: 1723
To me all computer programming is like playing a game.

I typically google for books, Amazon has some good inventory. I quickly goggled Game development with java and there is literature on it. I wonder what would happen if I google "Fun Java projects".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Back and Forth FRANCE
2,716 posts, read 2,649,483 times
Reputation: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay,

I'm dabbling with basic HTML, CSS, and Java. Now I would like to know how to start designing computer games. I know it's not an easy task. I just want suggestions for places to find basic programming information for 2D gaming that could maybe be transferred to an app. I don't want to learn new programming languages (unless maybe it's C# or something that can transfer to multiple platforms); I want something that can be done in Java or HTML, if possible. I don't mind much if it's a retro game; I'm just trying to learn more about programming languages and have fun.
I currently use unity3D

It has a new 2D tools. Active community, has a good proven track record.
You can code in C#, or Javascript.

You can deploy to different platforms Web, Android, Iphone, Windows etc.


Unity3d.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top