U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 07:57 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,856,601 times

Advertisements

I noticed a couple days ago when looking up a grocery store location on their website that the location was in Nigeria on their map. When I entered my zip code it brought up stores in my area. I turned off my internet and ran my antivirus software which turned up nothing. I then ran a root-kit software which also turned up nothing.

After restarting my computer and internet I went back on their website and the map came up with my town as the location instead of Nigeria. A few hours later I did this again and Nigeria was back. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I know Nigeria is filled with scammers and hackers so I'm wondering what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:06 PM

5,416 posts, read 8,779,461 times
Can you post the store's URL so others can try it and see if we get the same reaction ? Do they actually have stores in Nigeria ?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Can you post the store's URL so others can try it and see if we get the same reaction ? Do they actually have stores in Nigeria ?
Here is their URL. I'm pretty sure they haven't broken ground in Nigeria.

Harris Teeter - Neighborhood Food & Pharmacy

Go to their store locator page. I've been checking it all day and it's coming up as a city in my state, but the past couple days there was a star over Nigeria. It's really weird.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:29 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
I think the answer lies with this text that is at the bottom of the map. The location is only as accurate as the company doing the locating and I'd guess this one sucks. I hope the store isn't paying money for that service.

Quote:
Mapping Locator Powered by Where 2 Get It Copyright © 2015, All Rights Reserved
Edit: I also got Nigeria.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. Nobody wants to see Nigeria on there computer map, lol. I was starting to get concerned for a while.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 PM

Wow, I got Nigeria also. Maybe it's somebody's idea of a joke.

When I clicked on the red star, got this message:

"No locations were found using your search criteria [ FarmingtonCT US ]. Please try another input address to search for locations."

So it knew I am in CT, but mapped Nigeria anyway.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:29 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,366,687 times
By a bizarre coincidence, I noticed today that the Google Map of my local supermarket is misplace not in Nigeria, but at the service entrance at the back of the technical high school, about a half mile east of the actual location:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=H-E-B,...77901&t=m&z=16

If you go about a half mile west of the Red pin, you'll see that the actual location of the HEB Supermarket is correctly positioned and labeled, across from the Jack in the Box. But a search for it misplaces it. Maybe somebody hacked all supermarket locations.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
By a bizarre coincidence, I noticed today that the Google Map of my local supermarket is misplace not in Nigeria, but at the service entrance at the back of the technical high school, about a half mile east of the actual location:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=H-E-B,...77901&t=m&z=16

If you go about a half mile west of the Red pin, you'll see that the actual location of the HEB Supermarket is correctly positioned and labeled, across from the Jack in the Box. But a search for it misplaces it. Maybe somebody hacked all supermarket locations.
If you add the street number (1505) of the HEB store to the search string, then the pin shows the correct location. Without the number, G-maps just shows you where that street is in town.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:09 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,366,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
If you add the street number (1505) of the HEB store to the search string, then the pin shows the correct location. Without the number, G-maps just shows you where that street is in town.
I entered the name of the store, the search field presented options, I selected one.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:56 AM

13 posts, read 8,728 times
I got Nigeria on that site too. Looks like a bug on their site to me. See what Google says your location is (it shows your location at the footer of their search results).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or