U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 PM

31,141 posts, read 50,298,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
That's about the same as Charter / AT&T is here. By the time you add HD, and a couple of second tier specialty packages, your in the $200 range.
It is interesting to hear how much folks end up paying.

We pay $19/month for DSL.

But there is no FIOS, TWC, ATT, WIFI, or Comcast in our town. Just a phone company that provides our DSL.

We are around 25 miles from the phone company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:10 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Did you ever think you would be dropping $200 a month for 5 or 6 tv channels a few hours a night and surf the web once in awhile?
To tell you the truth we didn't when working. We had other things needed done I time available.now retired we have time in even ing to do it and its worth more to us.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:46 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,253,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I've been using FiOS for nearly a decade, and I love it. However, I'm thinking about jumping ship. Time Warner has been advertising 300 MB service, plus they have an extensive WiFi network that is available if you are a subscriber. Verizon doesn't have anything like this in my area.

What are the pros and cons of Time Warner vs. FiOS?
Are you referring to this

Verizon Wi-Fi?

These public hotspots are available with Verizon FIOS and on Verizon DSL, with the more expensive packages. But not in your area?

Old 07-05-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Are you referring to this

Verizon Wi-Fi?

These public hotspots are available with Verizon FIOS and on Verizon DSL, with the more expensive packages. But not in your area?
'Verizon DSL' ? Googling it I see 'bundled' service packages, so I guess that means Verizon is also a cable company in some areas? Is that true?

Here the only thing Verizon does is the cellphone towers along the interstate. Verizon moved into this state in 2010.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:09 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
'Verizon DSL' ? Googling it I see 'bundled' service packages, so I guess that means Verizon is also a cable company in some areas? Is that true?

Here the only thing Verizon does is the cellphone towers along the interstate. Verizon moved into this state in 2010.
Verizon is (or was) the local telephone provider in many parts of the country. In those locations they also provide internet (DSL the same as most local phone providers do), and Cable in markets where they have FiOS (fiber optic) service.

They were formerly named Bell Atlantic, and renamed to Verizon when they merged with GTE in 2000.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,253,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Oh I see. Well then no, it would not be available to you. So Time Warner would be your option, if you want the free hotspot option.

Verizon offers cable TV in those areas that they laid optical fiber. That is not available in the majority of the country.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Oh I see. Well then no, it would not be available to you. So Time Warner would be your option, if you want the free hotspot option.

Verizon offers cable TV in those areas that they laid optical fiber. That is not available in the majority of the country.
Time Warner is not in our town. I think they moved into the county seat, so they are in this county, none of our adjacent towns have TWC either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or