Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 03:47 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,564 times

Advertisements

I've been using FiOS for nearly a decade, and I love it. However, I'm thinking about jumping ship. Time Warner has been advertising 300 MB service, plus they have an extensive WiFi network that is available if you are a subscriber. Verizon doesn't have anything like this in my area.

What are the pros and cons of Time Warner vs. FiOS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,196 times
a con will be comcrap buying out time warner cable. as I don't know what your internet needs are such as gaming streaming moves. right now I use between 400-500 gigs of bandwith a month from gaming streaming movies online radio ect. now if Comcast gets the approval to take over time warner. I will be jumping ship. why because of there stupid bandwith caps!! personaly Comcast is not a company that I would want in my house. I do have the 300 meg package from time warner and it is awesome. just make sure that the modem isn't on a congested channel or you will feel pain in speeds.

Last edited by ground_pounder; 01-07-2015 at 06:17 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 07:43 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I've been using FiOS for nearly a decade, and I love it. However, I'm thinking about jumping ship. Time Warner has been advertising 300 MB service, plus they have an extensive WiFi network that is available if you are a subscriber. Verizon doesn't have anything like this in my area.

FWIW: Verizon wireless has nothing to do with Verizon FIOS. IMO Verizon wireless is not consistent and is barely better than DSL.

As to which one is better will depend on which has done upgrades to their system in your area. From my POV, I prefer to not have a interface box on the outside of my home, when using cable the modem is the interface. I have friends who were FIOS users who switched away from Comcast and are now back to Comcast. Cable from my POV has pretty much been stable and is now the starting to offer 500. Hope that helps.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:52 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
FWIW: Verizon wireless has nothing to do with Verizon FIOS. IMO Verizon wireless is not consistent and is barely better than DSL.

As to which one is better will depend on which has done upgrades to their system in your area. From my POV, I prefer to not have a interface box on the outside of my home, when using cable the modem is the interface. I have friends who were FIOS users who switched away from Comcast and are now back to Comcast. Cable from my POV has pretty much been stable and is now the starting to offer 500. Hope that helps.
Thanks.

It appears that I will take a cut in my upload speeds, but the network of free hot spots sounds appealing. I may give it a try.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:20 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,761,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post

You likely won't get anywhere near the 300 Mbps. TWC isn't near as reliable as FiOS.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
You likely won't get anywhere near the 300 Mbps. TWC isn't near as reliable as FiOS.
Per another thread currently running as they are using TWC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
Thanks and I will try that later. and I am getting what there sending me 340 megs down and 22 megs up

Want to reword your post?

Old 01-10-2015, 07:15 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,761,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Per another thread currently running as they are using TWC:

Want to reword your post?

No. That's an outlier, not the norm. I deal with this all day long for work. TWC is consistently the worst-ranked cable company and it's far more typical to get vastly lower speeds than what they advertise. Their distribution system is inferior to the type Verizon uses, and tenor overall service suffer from it.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
No. That's an outlier, not the norm. I deal with this all day long for work. TWC is consistently the worst-ranked cable company and it's far more typical to get vastly lower speeds than what they advertise. Their distribution system is inferior to the type Verizon uses, and tenor overall service suffer from it.

Sorry, i don't agree. I have Comcast and they have the worst record. Yet with the correct modem and a router set correctly I've rarely had a problem where a 30 second reset signal didn't resolve in the past 20 some odd years and I'm in rural area.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,196 times
Time Warner Cable to Merge with Comcast Corporation to Create a World-Class Technology and Media Company

goto fios

Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,085,750 times
Here in central North Carolina this is what Time Warner provides for about $50 to $60 a month.

I wish I had access to FiOS or any other fiber-to-the-prem service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet