U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:03 AM

13,314 posts, read 20,365,611 times

Advertisements

I was still a Prodigy user then. I didn't use it much because I was super busy working and going to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:12 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,447,600 times
What was the internet like in January of 1995 or exactly 20 years ago?

It took work to get your IPX games to work on the dialup PPP network.

Had most lay people at least heard of the internet back then even if most hadn't used it yet?

Colleges had been using emails for years before and you still had access to it after you left.

Was the internet seen as a world restricted only to computer geeks?

nope

What type of information was available on there?
Tomshardware to find the best video card

What did people do online when the commercial internet was in it's very earliest stages?
In 1995 some guy made a website to sell his broken laser pointer, the story of a Pez dispenser was false.

When people first discovered how to surf the web, what kind of stuff did they get addicted to?[/quote]
P**n, games, chat, pirating.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 PM

4,375 posts, read 5,259,729 times
The internet was less "browse heavy" for me. It was a lot more chat heavy. I pretty much lived on IRC at the time. I was on Undernet. At that time you can find huge text based documents online as well. I can't remember where I found it at, but I found a super old hacking document. It was mad old.

Overall the internet was "ok". I like it more now. While addictive as hell back then, now days internet is more an afterthrought. You're online constantly now, and in general the experience is better. The experience wasn't so great back in 1995. While more text based, it still took 20-30 seconds to load a page. Oh and back in 1995 you had Java Applets (yuck)

Old 01-20-2015, 11:32 PM

980 posts, read 595,502 times
1995, I was on AOL using Dialup. Slow. It wasn't until 1996/97 when @home brought us cable modems. Then speeds were what we considered blazing fast at the time... 320kb! It gradually increased from there.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:42 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,366,687 times
DOS-based dialup to a freenet. Monochrome screen, 286 or 386, text only. Toll call if you're not in the same city.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 AM

12,432 posts, read 10,896,002 times
All that I remember is: HURRY UP! LOAD FASTER!

Guys will know what I'm talking about

Old 01-21-2015, 11:14 AM

971 posts, read 1,212,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
DOS-based dialup to a freenet. Monochrome screen, 286 or 386, text only. Toll call if you're not in the same city.
Same here jtur88, I was using Zeno and paying long distance charges to the servers in Kansas City, Mo., or Bartlesville, OK., or Ft. Smith, AR. It turned out that Bartlesville was the cheapest and it didn't take me long to figure out to download, close out, answer ALL emails, log on and send ALL emails at the same time. LOL

Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,366,687 times
Per minute toll call rates were much higher within the state, than to a different state. So it was cheaper to be on a freenet in an adjacent state. The Tallahassee Freenet worked out some kind of a deal where you could dial up the dedicated freenet number from within surrounding counties, for a flat 25c for the duration of a connection, and the freenet had a 30-minute timeout. Once you got into any freenet, you could then telnet to any other freenet, worldwide.

Your computer had no browser of its own. Once dialed in and logged into the freenet, you had access to their in-house Lynx text-based browser, which was keyboard navigated with arrow keys. I was still using it as late as 2007, because with no graphics, it was much faster than any Windows-based browsing. It was so fast, I could snipe bidders on Ebay as they sat there waiting for graphics to load before they could see their bid. In about '07, the last of the remaining freenets disconnected their phones, and you could only telnet in if you still had email accounts there.

The screen on the dialup freenet looked like the command prompt, if you type in cmd.exe in your start button menu. After the C:\ prompt, you enter your dialer program, hit Enter, and wait for the screen to fill with the freenet welcome page and menu. The freenet really was free -- most of them set up by universities or public libraries. You just needed to set up a user name (or have one assigned) and a password, which would be your e-mail address there.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-21-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 11:33 PM

97 posts, read 109,072 times
Most people had heard of the internet by then but the majority of people I knew had never been on it, and in fact, most people did not own computers. As mentioned above, it was a wild west place and there was little corporate/gov presence at all. By 2000 things were beginning to settle down and resemble what they are now, but even then it was not the Disneynet we know today.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 AM

25,872 posts, read 32,426,393 times
AOL was the the provider of the day. Only a few people had email addresses. Windows 95 hadn't been released yet. It was windows 3.1.

My 97 I was online in earnest. I had a desktop computer with windows 95 a gigabyte hard drive and a 100 MHz processor. It was the bomb when I was able to get office 97.

Dialup... 56k modem. Was usually logging in with 36k if all went well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet