U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM

10 posts, read 40,663 times

Advertisements

how am i able to create a website? i also need to know how i could host exchenage so that when i create a email address for my website i could be checking the email on Microsoft Outlook. The last thing, how am i able to put outlook web access on my website and have my own personlised email using my domain?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,564,414 times
You need hosting with UK Web Hosting - Cheap Windows Linux cPanel Shared Reseller Web Hosting in UK or similar host.
There are deals in there to build sites. You can have your own email with it.
Thats short n simple *but* its not really simple

Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 PM

28,650 posts, read 40,636,617 times
Most of what you're wanting to do is fairly simple. Creating the website isn't.

The email activities are handled by your provider. When you purchase a package you should receive x number of email addresses. You use as many as you want to send and receive email.

The first step is to acquire a domain name. You will find a lot of providers that will do that for you, but you should be aware that if you do this the domain name will be registered in their name, not yours. If you decide you aren't happy with their service and drop it, you lose your domain.

Instead, go to register.com where you can search for available names. You key in what you want and it tells you if it's taken, and if it is, what is available that's close to what you typed in. You can also purchase web services from them if you want.

For email you set up an account with your provider after the site is set up. You will have access to a control panel where they will lead you through the process.

In Outlook you go to Tools/Accounts and set up a new account. Fill in the information given to you by the provider and Outlook will test the connection. If it passes, you're done. If not, trouble shoot the info you keyed in and try again.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 PM

9,483 posts, read 11,039,773 times
Homestead - Create your own Website: FREE Trial! Web Hosting & Website Building Software Included

cheap, create and host yourself. everything you are looking for. You can go to my public profile to view the web site I built, using homestead web site builder.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 PM

2,338 posts, read 7,076,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Homestead - Create your own Website: FREE Trial! Web Hosting & Website Building Software Included

cheap, create and host yourself. everything you are looking for. You can go to my public profile to view the web site I built, using homestead web site builder.
Good idea; I think newbies should try the free sites out.

However if you need a domain-specific e-mail, you need to purchase the domain. Fortunately, they are not too expensive (although they are cheaper when you bundle it in a hosting package).

Old 01-09-2008, 04:40 PM

I used Homesetead many moons ago but found their servers awfully slow from time to time. "Site Builder" is very sketchy too, not compliant with W3 standards which can make it load awkward in certain browsers. But its worth a go "just to see".

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-11-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: edited per poster request

Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,915 posts, read 33,656,816 times
For the sake of simplicity, I always recommend that first time hosts buy both their domain and their hosting from the same company. GoDaddy and Netfirms are good choices for this.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM

2,338 posts, read 7,076,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
For the sake of simplicity, I always recommend that first time hosts buy both their domain and their hosting from the same company. GoDaddy and Netfirms are good choices for this.
It's my impression that GoDaddy is the "WalMart of hosting companies". When you buy a domain from them, it is not easy to get them to release it to another webhost. Also, everything is "a la carte" which is really confusing to work with. For example, I am the webmaster for my sorority's site (hosted by GoDaddy) and managing the website and the e-mail is done from separate "dashboards". You have to buy extra modules to see site statistics (something my own webhost, StartLogic, includes for free) as well as storage.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 AM

Cheap isnt always good too, you need to remember that. We all like to cut costs and save the $$$$$ but we cannot always do that without sacrificeing quality.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM

12 posts, read 30,943 times
If someone else created my website, am I able to maintain it & make edits to the site using different software other than what was used to build it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet