Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,215,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
question: when you lay your cursor above the scale icon, we know the hand appears but next to the hand does a circle with a slash through it appear?
Nope, I do not have the circle/slash you are referring to scirocco. It's weird b'c other websites work that have a similar feature where you mouse over an image, click on it and a menu (or in CD's case, rep/comment) appears. Even on CD, if I click on your username, a menu appears to send you a DM, view your profile, webpage or whatever. It just doesn't make sense. IE is S-T-U-P-I-D.

KittensPurr - yeah, I guess if I want to continue using IE I just need to get used to right clicking. It can get ANNOYING though!!! *frown*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,878,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
KittensPurr - yeah, I guess if I want to continue using IE I just need to get used to right clicking. It can get ANNOYING though!!! *frown*
Hi Foma -

You know, I'm wondering if we have somehow obtained corrupt files? Perhaps if we reinstall IE, or do an upgrade if there's a newer version, that will solve the problem?

Many have suggested Firefox to me, too, & I've downloaded it twice & tried to use it over the years. I can't remember why I chose to disband with it & return to IE... I think it significantly slowed my OS. I do realize however, that IE is the least stable, so perhaps that's a valid request & perhaps worth another try.

It can be annoying... but I think more people find me annoying for posting my neverending laptop problems to the Tech Forum! I seem to creep around the corner once a week with a new development. Well, not exactly, but one thing seems to spawn another... & another...

I'll do that over the weekend & let you know how it worked out on my system. Thanks for the question & everyone else for the replies, because I'm learning from your posts, too... VV

Old 01-16-2008, 12:42 AM

5,595 posts, read 18,993,651 times
That was going to be my next suggestion, KittensPurr.

But before you try that, foma, make sure you're up to date on your Windows' Updates so you know you have all the security patches and other IE updates that might have been available over the past few months.

Microsoft Windows Update

If that doesn't work, then try to re-install IE 7 and see what happens. My hunch is that it's still a setting somewhere but it seems you've tried most of the things that can be done.

Something I've considered is using an earlier version of IE. Personally, I really don't like the feel of IE7.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 AM

thanks rocco ... i will give it another go this weekend ... keep your fingers crossed!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,420,090 times
Foma try this....

In IE7 go to Tools, Pop up Blocker, Pop up blocker settings, in the exceptions tab add www. city-data.com. Without the spaces.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 PM

yeah, i already did that arcticthaw

actually, there is one thing i didn't do, which was install all the curernt updates for microsoft after i reformatted. maybe? anyway, it's doing it right now. we'll see i guess!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:34 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,249,189 times
Those of you having this issue, if I'm reading right you are both using IE 7. Is that with Windows XP or Vista?

FWIW, we haven't upgraded any of the XP computers with IE 7.

I was reading the newest MaximumPC magazine. There was a small article that the newest firefox 2.0.0.11 is a memory hog. I didn't doubt this as I leave mine open for days, sometimes running multiple windows with various tabs open and have to restart. If you do decide to download firefox, use the google search firefox old versions. If you install firefox and don't like it, you can use it when you want to give reps, then close it.

If you are running XP, there is another browser called Crazy Browser which you can find here. We like it better then IE 7. There are a few things you need to set up after installing it, but if anyone wants help, post, I'll do what I can. Crazy browser is considered an IE "hack"

There are days I have problems left clicking the rep. There is no rhyme or reason, one minute it works, next it doesn't. I've actually wondered if it had to do with the servers CD is on and more of a connection overload. I will click it harder, it ends up working.

I'm on Vista.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 AM

I'm on Vista.

Other items on a webpage (including CD) with similar funcionality works, just not the CD rep scale. Totally bizarre!

I'll fidget around with it this weekend again but this is it. If it doesn't work than forget it - I'm giving up!

I do like Firefox but I just don't want to download another browser.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 PM

23,789 posts, read 33,249,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I'm on Vista.

Other items on a webpage (including CD) with similar funcionality works, just not the CD rep scale. Totally bizarre!

I'll fidget around with it this weekend again but this is it. If it doesn't work than forget it - I'm giving up!

I do like Firefox but I just don't want to download another browser.
You actually should keep 2 browsers. I've known people that couldn't get IE to work, would get me on AIM or MSN messenger asking what to do. I used to have to send them the browser download via IM.

I have a large download folder. In it I keep various browser downloads just in case. Right now I use IE 7 for here & Gmail plus MaximumPC's forum. I keep firefox open for 4 tabs of garden web plus my real estate sites (to buy a house) and Verizon text messages lol

I went over to hubby's computer to see if he had problems & he doesn't.
Do you have a pop up blocker installed? Next, do you have a firewall? If you have something like Norton I wonder if that's getting it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet