U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 PM

4,059 posts, read 4,129,693 times

Advertisements

On one it says "Secruity Certificate Not Trusted Source Issueing Authority" on Chrome -- meaning it is NOT really AOL but someone stealing info??. On IE it says, "Not Safe & go back to safety", etc.

But I pulled out my old HP pc & it is fine in all ways getting in any email acct (g/f's & mine) on AOL. On Yahoo mail accts we both use, both pc's work just not on any AOL ones. On AOL ones you can see how many new mails you got but can't get in to open the mailbox due to the rejection/warnings.

But...just now the Newer laptop just froze all full windows yellow screen w/ no bar on bottom or clock/day, etc. (all gone?) on startup/restart & wont even let me in. I went safe mode & pc seems to work ok there, but AOL STILL can't load there, nor can any AOL features or update/downloads from AOL. Hmm, anyone??

Mainly AOL mail is out on this pc, & how can that occur & even in safe mode? Then why can't i even get online in safe mode -- if it is nothing wrong w/ my WHOLE pc -- not then just specific to AOL or especially AOL mail? Then today even yellow blank take-over scren when opeing starting pc today = the total inability to use any portions of normal startup online & must go into only to safe mode -- & even there no AOL mail accts opening -- which is weird??

Avast free is 2015 updated on both too (we use same Avast free on both pc's), so why would one be ok -- & other not? I spoke to a tech who remoted my pc Thurs. & they said, "the http:\\ (it was missing the "WWW." part before the) mail.aol.com to make it ok" to thus use on my new laptop accessing any AOL mails. It worked that day til i closed it, when she did it remotely (she said secruity settings are too high on new laptop too, but told her I like it that high & that way, so she let it go) but yest it failed again on my own when I awoke to try it w/ sign in??

Also, I reinstalled Chrome & it had a Skype along download -- which I don't need/use but I forgot it & then thought I'd uninstall soon but Avast scanned after Chrome -- & found SKYPE ROOTKIT! I said, oh no.

On Tues. nite got a "History Cache Provider Trj" (trojan?) found on a Avast full scan. No idea how/what that is?? As you see a mess on this newer (it is 3 yrs old vs 7 yrs for my old HP) laptop.

There is a Microsoft security update from 3/10/15 & from 4/15, that won't install daily since back then. I thought & tried Standalones loads, etc. but no way! Is this involved??

Last edited by movintime; 04-25-2015 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,420,666 times
~ Is the Date/Time on your computer correct?

~ Is the reason you can't get online in Safe mode is you are not booting with networking enabled?

~ Since this certificate error occurs with both Chrome and IE is it possible your trusted root certificates are corrupt?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2677070

Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,420,666 times
Hmmm, great feedback from the OP...

Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 PM

6,905 posts, read 3,840,727 times
if your computer isn't holding the date/ time your CMOS battery is probably dying or dead. And that's why you're getting the certificate message. Reboot and reset the time and date and you should be able to get back on line. If you don't replace the battery you'll have reset the time and date whenever your power up. I am willing to bet that if you check the time.. It along with the year will be way off!

Last edited by Sydney123; 04-27-2015 at 10:30 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 03:29 AM

4,059 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Hi All, ok date/time all ok. But last nite major crash -- as Bios is failed/corrupted & a buddy of mine took out hard drive to inspect ,as he can't even UNFREEZE the "frozen hardware password"??? Ths seems like it was comprimised form external attack somehow missed by Antivirus but unsure. WE need a good pc diagnostician w/ keen mind to help.

Something's up since Bios is messed, & password FROZEN in hard drive -- as if something wants to steal & preserve all info on Hard Drive. That & the Rootkit bizzarely gotten w/ a Skype downlaod, then The "HISTORY CACHE PROVIDER TROJAN" A few days before (which is reality seems -- yet ANOTHER try to TAKE ALL SENSITIVE INFO (bank, medical, credit, searches, posts, etc...

Doesn't anyone see a trend of breaches here?? Hmm, I'm blind & see it -- tho no idea how/who/what, etc. it is?? Any advice??

Almost as if somethings monitoring or controlling exerternally the newer laptop & we have medical, bank, credit cards, etc, info thats sensitive -- that I must get off. If it is a hacker -- theyre good. If its another govt agency -- we have no idea nor clue -- yet paranoia sets in, haha. But my buddy told me, BIOS failure is common in the Newer Latop model this one is, thus maybe thats all it be.

Ok whizkids figure it out please >

Last edited by movintime; 04-28-2015 at 03:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or