Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
City-data is social media, but I think crf450ish is referring more to Facebook and Twitter and those forms of social media rather than forum types of socializing (like city-data).
That is what I was thinking. Now with that being said depending on the industry I am sure that there are still a few "other forums" out there who would trace back a questionable post if asked by his/her employer. When Hurricane Katrina slammed into New Orleans I can remember at least one theme park website that warned employees of Six Flags New Orleans NOT to post pics that they had taken themselves of the damage to the park and post them because Six Flags would be watching. OK for those people to post links from news media such as CNN, FOX, WDSU-TV and so forth but not their own private pics. The fear was that Six Flags would fire the employees who would do such a thing.

About 15 years ago I myself knew of a guy who was fired from a radio station in Virginia when he had started posting on a regional broadcasting website what he had thought would be anonymous postings in their forums about inside information regarding to his own station as well as the other stations in his market. The owner of his radio station simply emailed the webmaster of that website and asked for the IP address which the webmaster did give to the owner. Didn't take very long at all to find out who that so-called poster was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:25 AM

590 posts, read 714,050 times
bump

Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
Outside business hours and grounds? I don't see how that is even legally enforceable?
Maybe I am wrong?
I don't really do any type of social media where my picture and/or photos are uploaded that can be linked to me under normal searches so I am really not worried in that sense.

What worries me, however, is the reasoning or company mentality behind such a request.
Unless you are working for a high security, government type of job, this type of a request would make me wonder "What is next?", and start looking for a new job.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:32 PM

671 posts, read 900,088 times
If they offered me a raise, I would consider it. If not, I wouldn't. Reason being, I would need some incentive. Just quitting because someone told you to do it, is dumb.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:20 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
If it's in my contract to not belong to any social media, then I don't belong to any. The only rule I currently have to deal with is on sites like FaceBook is to not friend anyone I work with, not load any photos of people I work with and not discuss the work that I do.

My Nephew has it in his contract and works in the Financial Industry to not belong to the social media locations listed by that company. Before starting his first day, he made a statement on FaceBook about it, told people who wanted to keep in touch with him to use email, told people to download any photos they wanted and it had to be done by a certain date. The day after he deleted all the albums, he deleted all the personal information, he unfriended everyone and closed the account best that he could. If someone tries to bring up his name, all they get is a silhouette and nothing else.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I am well paid, with great benefits, and don't need social media that badly, so I would go along with it. Not that it would happen, in fact we have corporate social media accounts and it's encouraged here.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I am well paid, with great benefits, and don't need social media that badly, so I would go along with it. Not that it would happen, in fact we have corporate social media accounts and it's encouraged here.

WOW!!! Ding ding ding ding we have a winner! Not many people this day in age can actually live without social media. Why? I don't know..... What did we all do before social media? Some say that is an invalid argument because thats like asking what we did before cars....we just made do

Old 10-30-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If it's in my contract to not belong to any social media, then I don't belong to any. The only rule I currently have to deal with is on sites like FaceBook is to not friend anyone I work with, not load any photos of people I work with and not discuss the work that I do.

My Nephew has it in his contract and works in the Financial Industry to not belong to the social media locations listed by that company. Before starting his first day, he made a statement on FaceBook about it, told people who wanted to keep in touch with him to use email, told people to download any photos they wanted and it had to be done by a certain date. The day after he deleted all the albums, he deleted all the personal information, he unfriended everyone and closed the account best that he could. If someone tries to bring up his name, all they get is a silhouette and nothing else.
I did all of that on my own about a year after Facebook went public and havent looked back. Rarely does anyone I know contact me via phone or text message. I'm a rebel in a league of my own. I have no social media at all, nothing, zip, unless you consider forums a form of social media. I think its downright dumb to post random information about your personal lives on the internet, much less upload images of yourself. Also, more and more younger people are becoming dependent on it for everything. What would they do without it? I think it would be funny to document the life of someone going through "social media withdrawals".

Old 10-30-2015, 07:15 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Really?

You don't submit to drug tests? They don't mind if you're a child molester in your off-time? They don't mind if you're a drunk and stand on the corner naked on the weekends and get your picture in the paper?

You have a very understanding employer if they don't care what you do "outside of business hours".

Did I forget to mention I own my own company?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did I forget to mention I own my own company?
This is what I'm currently working towards. Starting my own logistics company. I cannot stand having to answer to someone else when I'm at work, or try to convince others that my ideas are the best, or why I want to do something a certain way, or this or that or blah blah blah. If I own my own company, I call the shots, what I say goes and the only person I have to answer to is my customers (no problem) and uncle sam (just be honest). If someone tries to rebut what I want to do, they can walk right back through the door they came in through.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet