Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,925,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
A few friends and I were sitting around having a few cold ones and discussing ideas when I perked up and asked how they would respond if their employer told them they had 7 days to quit social media. Cold turkey....painstakingly delete every individual picture and post from their Facebook and instagram and twitter and blah blah blah other social media site and disable their account. Now of course I just thought of the employer as a conversation piece, but could you really do it? My friends claim they could, but I think a couple would have a really hard time. Think back to how you functioned without it before you knew it existed. I have no connections to any social media. You might find really old profiles under the name "crf450ish" if you googled it, but I assure you I am in no way connected to social media at all and I love it. It intrigues me how so many people are addicted to social media.
City-data is social media, but I think crf450ish is referring more to Facebook and Twitter and those forms of social media rather than forum types of socializing (like city-data).

And I think the question is not about an employer requiring a quit (although that's what started the conversation), but instead is asking if a Facebooker or Twitterer could stop cold-turkey. I'm not a good one to answer that question because I don't even know how to tweet and I'm not a big Facebook user. However, I have been one to always have my cellphone on my person at all times, and have decided to quit that. I now leave my phone in the kitchen (only taking it with me when I'm in car to have in case I need to call AAA or something).

Quitting my phone has been a really hard process, so I can imagine quitting Facebook might be just as difficult. It's probably along the same lines as in the olden days when a habitual routine was to read the evening newspaper, but if the paper wasn't delivered, it was such a disruption. When the brain's thirst for information is thwarted (by lack of a newspaper or Facebook postings), the brain just doesn't know what to do.

Very interesting question crf450ish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 08:47 AM

590 posts, read 710,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
I suppose your comment somehow posted itself, skynet style?
ok you got me...citydata is indeed a form of social media, as is the other 10 forums I'm a member of.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:50 AM

590 posts, read 710,014 times
To be clear, I am more interested in your ability to quit social media. I sort of figured that the majority of responses to an employer asking one to quit their social media would be "yeah right". COULD YOU DO IT ON YOUR OWN?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,655,758 times
I would start looking for a new job, however, I don't post much on Social Media.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 AM

16,464 posts, read 19,494,203 times
I would quit it for the right job but if they told me I had to go and delete the old stuff?
Pound salt.... That would have to be a HUGE salary at my dreamiest job ever to deal with that.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:22 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,311,162 times
Quote:
but could you really do it?
I wouldn't do it. Not that I couldn't, but I won't. I use Facebook as a tool to see memories being created by my true friends and family. I am not friends with anyone I wouldn't invite to my home. I'm not on Twitter or Instagram or any other social media site.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:08 AM

23,533 posts, read 69,968,609 times
Quote:
To be clear, I am more interested in your ability to quit social media. I sort of figured that the majority of responses to an employer asking one to quit their social media would be "yeah right". COULD YOU DO IT ON YOUR OWN?
OK, different scenario than what was initially posed. The initial one posed an external force, this is more about addiction. Since I might have only posted on Facebook once or twice, and don't even know how to use Twitter, not an issue. I suspect that the people who would have the MOST difficulty would be those who stay in abusive relationships. Online friends might be lifelines.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:19 AM

658 posts, read 1,139,527 times
Quote:

and I'm just not certain why you're asking on a form of social media, which by your own post --- most people probably aren't aware is social media

Old 09-24-2015, 12:09 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,711,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610
Do not do social media so not an issue exept, no employer is going to tell me what I can or cannot do outside of business hours.
Exactly how I would feel CSD IF I WAS ON ANY!!

Old 09-24-2015, 04:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,597,484 times
i only log-in to FB a couple times a week to check up on family & old friends, and i haven't actively tweeted on Twitter in 3 yrs (and insta & snapchat & vine are basically irrelevant to my interests) so i would have zero probs disconnecting from online social media. I think it depends on your demographic... i've noticed my younger friends in their mid to late 20's always seem to be updating pix, statuses, dm's, like social media is an avatar for their real lives. It becomes almost a competition to see how popular you are, how many followers, if any celebs or well-known hipsters or promoters or dj's follow you. To me it seems like high school deja vu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet