U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:19 PM

590 posts, read 544,989 times

Advertisements

A few friends and I were sitting around having a few cold ones and discussing ideas when I perked up and asked how they would respond if their employer told them they had 7 days to quit social media. Cold turkey....painstakingly delete every individual picture and post from their Facebook and instagram and twitter and blah blah blah other social media site and disable their account. Now of course I just thought of the employer as a conversation piece, but could you really do it? My friends claim they could, but I think a couple would have a really hard time. Think back to how you functioned without it before you knew it existed. I have no connections to any social media. You might find really old profiles under the name "crf450ish" if you googled it, but I assure you I am in no way connected to social media at all and I love it. It intrigues me how so many people are addicted to social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 PM

6,235 posts, read 6,120,755 times
Not their business what you do on your own time.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:30 PM

117 posts, read 74,266 times
I agree with @froglipz here. It's my personality. And I know better what should I do.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:42 PM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
What would I do? Laugh in his face.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,889,781 times
Depending on the state they could very well make such a request of you and discharge you if you fail to comply. They can make you wear green striped socks every day as a condition of employment.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:47 PM

35,108 posts, read 41,325,151 times
Do not do social media so not an issue exept, no employer is going to tell me what I can or cannot do outside of business hours.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:54 PM

9,052 posts, read 11,235,848 times
Many young people, particularly those seeking employment, do not seem to understand (or care?) that employers and supervisors across the country are already making or validating hiring, retention and promotion decisions based on social media.

Companies certainly aren't saying, "don't post on social media sites" -- It's one of their best and easiest sources of employee and potential employee information.

Those in your group who say they lack the will power to quit ... are probably the very ones who lack the will power to not regularly post inappropriate information -- or at least information they would not want their boss to see.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:04 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,889,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Do not do social media so not an issue exept, no employer is going to tell me what I can or cannot do outside of business hours.
Really?

You don't submit to drug tests? They don't mind if you're a child molester in your off-time? They don't mind if you're a drunk and stand on the corner naked on the weekends and get your picture in the paper?

You have a very understanding employer if they don't care what you do "outside of business hours".

Old 09-23-2015, 12:38 AM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Depending on the state they could very well make such a request of you and discharge you if you fail to comply. They can make you wear green striped socks every day as a condition of employment.
They can only make you do what you collude to. I've been on both sides of that game. The point is the employer is an idiot if he thinks removing traces on the internet really removes traces. I wouldn't work for someone that stupid, or if I did I would demand a raise.

When drug testing became the rage (I don't do drugs) my response to "Do you think we should have random drug tests?" was "Sure, as long as the owner, CEO, and CFO are included." For some reason, we never had random drug testing.

I have some personal experience with a "request" similar to the one the OP posits, but involving ...err... an individual employed by a three letter govt. agency. He got royally shut down in his request by a retired West Pointer. You don't need any further information.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:39 AM

659 posts, read 1,020,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
A few friends and I were sitting around having a few cold ones and discussing ideas when I perked up and asked how they would respond if their employer told them they had 7 days to quit social media. Cold turkey....painstakingly delete every individual picture and post from their Facebook and instagram and twitter and blah blah blah other social media site and disable their account. Now of course I just thought of the employer as a conversation piece, but could you really do it? My friends claim they could, but I think a couple would have a really hard time. Think back to how you functioned without it before you knew it existed. I have no connections to any social media. You might find really old profiles under the name "crf450ish" if you googled it, but I assure you I am in no way connected to social media at all and I love it. It intrigues me how so many people are addicted to social media.

I suppose your comment somehow posted itself, skynet style?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or