U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Peeple, "Yelp, but for Humans," a Good Idea?
Yes 2 13.33%
No 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:52 AM

847 posts, read 870,843 times

Advertisements

Is Peeple, 'Yelp, but for humans,' a good idea? - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM

2,655 posts, read 5,992,888 times
Invasive. If I had no control of this as alluded, I would at that point begin the process of scrubbing my overall presence in the world from public view.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:20 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,733,453 times
Thumbs down *

Indeed....Quite intrusive but the puppets of today wont care!!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:10 AM

5,818 posts, read 9,206,629 times
Their plan is to allow OTHER PEOPLE submit your name provided they have your phone number. They claim if you don't agree to the account they will only post "positive" results. You can make it seem to be positive but they aren't going to review each post. They also claim you can not delete an account once created.

5 stars for Joe; Despite his being a drunkard and thoughtless P.O.S. he manages to be nice sometimes.......

I see a lot of lawsuits for Libel with this "app".

Old 10-03-2015, 11:09 AM

1,683 posts, read 685,201 times
I think it's a good idea but only if they can manage it well. Yelp has managed to stay away from slander suits. However, people who posted on Yelp have been sued by the businesses. That's a reasonable expectation. Anytime you make a public comment about an organization or individual, you're risking a slander suit.

Is it a good idea? I think people will download the app and check it regularly to see what other say about them. If it's advertising based, I do feel that the ads will get a lot of views and as a result this will make money. A good business model.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:18 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,645,472 times
I was reading through some of the postings on Snopes and came across this article.

Quote:
Others alleged Peeple’s creators were deleting unwanted comments from their page (confirmed by the page itself in a reply), thereby illustrating fundamental flaws in the app:

The fact that you’re deleting comments on this post is EXACTLY the problem we have with your app. You don’t like people coming online to publicly give you our opinions? Interesting.
Can we say scam? (Too bad the OP didn't include this option in the poll)...

Peeple Bleater : snopes.com

Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Apparently it was not a good idea...

Peeple goes into hiding to retool the app
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...etool-the-app/

Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I think it's a good idea but only if they can manage it well. Yelp has managed to stay away from slander suits. However, people who posted on Yelp have been sued by the businesses. That's a reasonable expectation. Anytime you make a public comment about an organization or individual, you're risking a slander suit.

Is it a good idea? I think people will download the app and check it regularly to see what other say about them. If it's advertising based, I do feel that the ads will get a lot of views and as a result this will make money. A good business model.
I can see how lawyers would think it's a great idea. Certainly would send them a lot more business.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:03 AM

1,683 posts, read 685,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I can see how lawyers would think it's a great idea. Certainly would send them a lot more business.
I'm a constitutional lawyer. I don't take on slander cases. But being a lawyer has nothing to do with it.

The question is whether it is a viable business model and whether it can produce profit for its investors. I think there's value here. It will take several years to build up, but I think there's value here. It's a good idea for a business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or