U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:46 PM

3,724 posts, read 2,399,883 times

Advertisements

I had numerous hardware devices go down about 10 days ago and decided to do some long overdue upgrades. They included ditching my 8 year old dumb phone for a Droid Max, and upgrading my wireless USB modem to 4G. So far I hate it. I now get 6GB a month instead of 5 and for $10 less (Verizon) but thus far I have been way over my daily usage every day and any attempts to control it seem futile. When I had 3G, I was able to catch it when politico or similar sites were downloading a useless 1080 thumbnail ad and stop it early. Now with 4G, I went to a site today for sports and in seconds it downloaded a 150MB ad for Downey fabric softener. In seconds I lost 3/4 of my daily limit to garbage. So, how do I fix this, I am using Chrome (which maybe the problem) and I am running AdBlocker plus, which seems to be working becuse when I set up my new computer on Saturday, i was so overwhelmed with popup ads that I blew a whole Gig in 3 hours just while setting up. When I was with 3G, I rarely used more than 120MB a day doing all my business and surfing, now I am on it 1/3 of the time and using 300MB a day. I need my internet back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:51 PM

During the time it took to make the above post, another 100MB of data was transferred and I have no idea why. I have my automatic updater turned off, and this new machine that was advertised as having Windows 10 actually arrived with Win 8.1, but that is a whole other gripe.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:17 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
This isn't a problem with 4g. A Downy ad is not 150MB. There's something else going on.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,829 posts, read 56,199,418 times
My droid has never gone over 4GB (my limit is 5) despite 2 hours a day browsing while on the bus to work and back. You have some App(s) that are using data that you are unaware of. If you go to Settings>Data Usage and scroll down, it will list the Apps that are using data in the order of highest to lowest. In my case, the top 3 are Youtube, Firefox and Facebook, but at only .15, .06, and .04 GB. You can also shut off certain features such as GPS location to save on data, and set updates to only happen when Wi-fi.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:29 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
Oner app that can really eat up the data is the GPS type app. The one that will give you directions, etc. Leave that turned on an not only will it eat up data, but your battery won't last too long.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 AM

I am actually having this problem on my laptop, I don't have it on my Droid Max (which is also new). I switched from Chrome to Firefox last night and the problem seems much less today. Hemlock, is there a way to do the settings/data usage bit on a laptop, I do want to see more of what is going on.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:15 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,538,404 times
I'm on a limited 3 gigs a month plan [I don't do videos] , so I try to limit myself to 100 megs a day. Some sites I visited was loading flash video of stuff I didn't want that was eating up megs. I now have adobe flash player set to prompt and I don't allow any of them. Also added ad blocker to block huge photos and have all third party cookies on prompt. I couldn't believe the amount of garbage sites trying to load their cookies.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:01 AM

11,780 posts, read 8,756,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I am actually having this problem on my laptop, I don't have it on my Droid Max (which is also new). I switched from Chrome to Firefox last night and the problem seems much less today. Hemlock, is there a way to do the settings/data usage bit on a laptop, I do want to see more of what is going on.
Tasks manager -> network will show you what is using your network, but I'm not sure there is any way to see how much data was used up by individual apps/services. You could try setting up a strict firewall, but that might be more trouble than it is worth. Software updates can be configured to check automatically or to check manually, but I think you have to check to see if the software has a setting configuration menu inside the app... I'm not too sure. I know that some software is easy to configure, but other software may only ask how to handle updates when you are first installing it.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,538,404 times
With Windows, you can check how many megs are being used by clicking the on the service provider icon near the date/time. Click provider. Connected to box opens, right click on provider name, click status, new box opens showing amount of megs sent/received for session while computer is on. The only site you will not know who or how many megs being used is Norton. They load updates without you knowing.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,829 posts, read 56,199,418 times
Your home internet provider has a daily data limit? That seems ridiculous, people stream video all day on smart TVs, laptops and other devices and never have an issue with data limits. Are you using the phone as a wireless hotspot for the laptop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet