U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 AM

4,357 posts, read 6,538,304 times

Advertisements

I had Comcast installed with the Performance Package and it was running fine at 25Mbps. Then I moved and Comcast screwed up and changed my package to the Economy Package which is suppose to run at 3Mbps. I wasn't happy with this change but I found that even at this speed it was working for what I do and I thought I would save a little bit of money. Two days later I did a speedtest after it looked slow and found speeds of .63, 1.56, and at best 2.13 which is not enough for YouTube who require 3Mbps. I called the Comcast tech., he told me my home network was the reason it was slowing down. My home network, a smartphone, two laptops, and a printer. The only item running when I called Comcast was my phone and one laptop. While he tried to BS me I turned the wifi off on my phone leaving only the laptop in use running. Later I checked the speed and I was back to 3.5Mbps and I thought the problem was resolved. No way, the following morning with web traffic is usually the lowest I checked the speed again and found 1.99Mbps which is too slow for videos. The way Comcast and others cover this is to say the speed is "up to". So if you are paying for 3Mbps and you are getting 1Mbps they are covered. Of course they want to charge you more so they are happy to upgrade to the 25Mbps where they are covered for anything from 0 to 25Mbps. The worse part here is I didn't make the change. I have now spent 7 hours on the phone trying to get their equipment working only to find the speed inadequate.

I have found several people I know who are having problems caused by slow speeds. I wanted people to know they should run a speed test every so often to make sure they are getting what they are paying for.
If you have buffering or slow loading websites your speed could be the problem. Run a speed test. They are free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 03:58 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
I don't know what you're paying Comcast, but maybe you need to pay a little bit more? I just ran a speed test and my download speed is 90.1 mpbs. I think I pay $78 a month.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:03 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
When you are checking the speeds directly connect a single device with an ethernet cable to the modem itself(the device the cable itself enters). If you have one of those wifi/modem combos make sure nothing else is connected over wifi.

If you are still getting bad speeds be sure to confirm with second device. If the problem still exists it could be the modem, bad connection on the cable, poorly split cable etc.

Quote:
So if you are paying for 3Mbps and you are getting 1Mbps they are covered.
True but I have Comcast and the speeds usually exceed the advertised rate by a small margin. I've never had long standing issues with speeds from them.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:11 AM

13,312 posts, read 20,359,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I don't know what you're paying Comcast, but maybe you need to pay a little bit more? I just ran a speed test and my download speed is 90.1 mpbs. I think I pay $78 a month.
I'm getting 150 down / 12 upload for that price. I had to get a new modem to take advantage of the recent upgrade to speeds. Maybe the OP needs a newer modem?

Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 PM

3,395 posts, read 1,949,189 times
The home internet is not slow but I still don't really care. I think they should be faster. They're pieces of you know what. There's been outages sometimes and it doesn't extend far enough as it doesn't really work through the whole apartment. Also their hot spots are unreliable and can often be slow. For the price that has to be paid, the service should be perfect. The internet should run like the speed of light.
But they'll never change anything because they know they can get away with it.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:02 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
I'd agree the price is outrageous, never had any issues with service though. The Internet is available at or above the speeds I'm paying for nearly 100% of the time.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:58 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,664,736 times
Current speed test, wifi, 60 ft from Comcast supplied router: 80/12.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:45 PM

4,357 posts, read 6,538,304 times
I am the OP. Comcast sent me a bill for $33.95 for the 3Mps. I called and complained that I was told the service would be $25 and was told that was a special that I am not entitled to. Before I moved I was paying $34.95 for 25Mbps service and this was not a special. I asked about the little price difference and was told it was a special. Finally fed up with the BS I told them I close the account. I was transferred to another department and had to explain what happened once again. That rep told me she had no idea how I was being charged but they were not standard Comcast rates. I told her I and sick of dealing with this and she offered a 3Mbps service for $30 for six months. I had to remind her that the 3Mbps was not adequate for my needs and that I was paying $35 for 25Mbps. She said that was the current deals from Comcast and if I didn't like it to close my account. At her recommendation I closed my Comcast account.
I never had problems with Comcast in the past but I am shocked that a company like Comcast would tolerate such rude and unknowledgeable people to represent them. I am going back to Verizon.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:01 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
Comcast is a pretty crappy company with poor customer service. Like anybody else, they'll offer the world to you as a new customer, and then will charge the snot out of you after about six months to a year.

I'm not that happy with Time Warner Cable either, but unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice. One thing I will tell you about cable internet. You share your connection with your neighbors on your node, so you're not always going to get the top speed you pay for. That is why they say "speeds up to...". The less people on your street using Comcast, the more likely you see your top speed at a consistent rate. The more people, the less likely, especially during "prime usage time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or