U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:46 AM

40,301 posts, read 41,850,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
People put up with the ads. It's this new, current model of forcing popular channels behind a paywall that is the problem.
If I'm understanding this correctly they are forcing them behind a paywall in addition to the free ad based content. I would presume that any exclusive content behind a paywall is going to be at the behest of the content provider.

Quote:
Users WILL abandon YouTube,
Unlikely, firstly they are still providing ad based content. Secondly and more importantly who is going to step into their place? There is no profit motivation here, the losses YouTube incurs is not pocket change. It's hundreds of millions each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 11:34 AM

11,780 posts, read 8,764,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly they are forcing them behind a paywall in addition to the free ad based content. I would presume that any exclusive content behind a paywall is going to be at the behest of the content provider.

Unlikely, firstly they are still providing ad based content. Secondly and more importantly who is going to step into their place? There is no profit motivation here, the losses YouTube incurs is not pocket change. It's hundreds of millions each year.
It seems what they are doing is placing content providers behind the paywall or marking their videos private. Other sources say the content only gets placed behind the paywall if the creator doesn't sign the YTR contact.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:56 PM

5,896 posts, read 4,423,785 times
I watch You Tube for just about anything. Mostly, I love to watch music videos, how to videos, etc...I would bet that You tube Red will probably be more for content that you would normally have to pay for anywhere else. Such as stuff you get with a subscription to Netflix or Hulu. Like movies or TV shows. That would make sense to me. Music videos being behind a walled pay garden? Eh, I hope not. I love watching old music videos.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:57 AM

955 posts, read 1,105,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I watch You Tube for just about anything. Mostly, I love to watch music videos, how to videos, etc...I would bet that You tube Red will probably be more for content that you would normally have to pay for anywhere else. Such as stuff you get with a subscription to Netflix or Hulu. Like movies or TV shows. That would make sense to me. Music videos being behind a walled pay garden? Eh, I hope not. I love watching old music videos.
That's exactly what my interpretation is.

Music videos, especially the "official" music videos, appear to be going behind a walled pay garden.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:27 PM

5,669 posts, read 5,273,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Many people will be interested in paying for ad free content.
Maybe. But I haven't watched an ad in a loooong time. Adblock Plus.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:04 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,423,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
That's exactly what my interpretation is.

Music videos, especially the "official" music videos, appear to be going behind a walled pay garden.
If so, then there will be other competition. Some artists thrive with having their music exposed on YouTube. I won't pay $10/month just to watch music vids.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:33 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,414,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Youtube is committing suicide. RIP!
They don't care. They take their money and run.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:23 PM

3,419 posts, read 1,955,046 times
NO!!! They can't do this. They better not *goes to download thousands of fan montages in case they block them*
I used to love YouTube so much and they just get worse and worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
If so, then there will be other competition. Some artists thrive with having their music exposed on YouTube. I won't pay $10/month just to watch music vids.
Me neither. This is wrong on so many levels. We should be able to watch music videos without having to pay for them. I have payed for a few music videos to download on my phone but I hate subscriptions.

Who the f cares about ads? Just keep them they're not that long. I would rather watch ads than see YouTube destroyed.
I'm not even going to be able to watch my favorite YouTubers anymore either because ads are how they make money (at least for the one)

Maybe the rumors about blocking videos aren't true and just people trying to scare you so they could get attention with their articles.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:24 PM

367 posts, read 330,126 times
Youtube has ads?
Adblock Plus. It works. Use it or stop complaining about ads.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:31 PM

3,419 posts, read 1,955,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Youtube has ads?
Adblock Plus. It works. Use it or stop complaining about ads.
Who's complaining about ads? That's the whole point. No one really cares yet Google stupidly seems to think people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet