U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:41 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,346,145 times

Advertisements

With the announcement of YouTube Red Google is taking YouTube further in the direction of the cable companies.

Cleverly packaged in with the promise of an ad-free YouTube (which, incidentally, is horrible for content providers), is this "exclusive content" YouTube claims it is working on for RedTube. What many people don't realize is where this "exclusive content" is going to come from. It will be coming from your favorite most popular channels you already watch for free. In other words, non-subscribers to the $9.99 ad-free YouTube Red will lose the ability to watch these channels….or a tiered internet.

This is classic bait & switch. This is Google saying "Hey, everybody look at this pretty shiny thing we're giving you over here!" Meanwhile, all your favorite and popular channels are slowly disappearing from the free YouTube because Google is coaxing them all, one-by-one, to go exclusive or otherwise lose access to revenue. Then the free YouTube viewers are left watching crap just like basic cable subscribers. The only bright spot is this may finally cause an exodus from the advertiser driven YouTube to alternative video blogging providers. Hopefully, Vimeo will take advantage of this.

We cannot fall for this cynical grab for money as we have already done with the cable companies. If you think this new subscription-based access to "exclusive" content is a great idea, you have no idea what is happening.

Alternative video content platforms need to be launched to challenge YouTube's (Google's) business model once and for all.

Channels need to know as long as they set up shop on YouTube this kind of cynical control and manipulation of viewers and content providers will only continue.

Beyond, certain websites, like YouTube, the internet is still basically free of cynical landlords hell-bent on squeezing as much money as they can out of people by playing shell games with popular content. If you're a popular channel on YouTube, consider leaving, maybe getting your own hosting if you can afford it, and making your viewers come to you.

If that is not an option for you, consider not uploading your content to YouTube at all but at a video platform provider that has a little more integrity.

YouTube should not be rewarded for playing a shell game with content. They should be punished with a massive exodus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:15 PM

671 posts, read 677,061 times
It's their website, they can do what they want.

If these YouTube "performers" really cared they would post their videos on their own website (or an alternate, like Vimeo as you mentioned)... but they probably want to get paid.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't call this RedTube. That is a NSFW website.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:41 PM

18,592 posts, read 55,510,434 times
Yeah, the free ride on youtube is about to be over. Word is that the major content providers are being given the choice to go red or have their vids categorized as private.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Yeah, the free ride on youtube is about to be over. Word is that the major content providers are being given the choice to go red or have their vids categorized as private.
That's what I hear too:

17 Things You Need Know About YouTube Red and YouTube MusicDigital Music News

"5. Creators can’t really opt-out of YouTube Red.
Anyone who doesn’t participate in ‘YouTube Red,’ ‘YouTube Music,’ or any other iteration will have their channels and videos set to ‘private’. Basically, if you don’t sign the contract, you’re dead to YouTube (and your fans on YouTube)."

TechCrunch is confirming this too:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/21/an-.../#.ycdx4m:qMYa

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 10-25-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 10-25-2015, 08:56 AM

40,302 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
Alternative video content platforms need to be launched to challenge YouTube's (Google's) business model once and for all.
That's not going to happen, Youtube has never been profitable..... Ad based sites are profitable in part because it costs a few pennies to serve 1000's of pages which generate a few dollars in revenue. The hardware, storage and bandwidth costs for Youtube are huge. The ads do not cover the costs let alone generate a profit.

In any event I don't see what the issue is here. Many people will be interested in paying for ad free content.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:19 PM

13,341 posts, read 20,388,324 times
Youtube is committing suicide. RIP!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's not going to happen, Youtube has never been profitable..... Ad based sites are profitable in part because it costs a few pennies to serve 1000's of pages which generate a few dollars in revenue. The hardware, storage and bandwidth costs for Youtube are huge. The ads do not cover the costs let alone generate a profit.

In any event I don't see what the issue is here. Many people will be interested in paying for ad free content.
People put up with the ads. It's this new, current model of forcing popular channels behind a paywall that is the problem.

There are still traditional ways YouTube can serve ads on their site that don't involve content paywalls.

Users WILL abandon YouTube, just like they are slowly abandoning Gmail for private email providers like Protonmail and Google search for DuckDuckGo, StartPage, Disconnect, etc... (As soon as the Protonmail app is out of Beta, I'm closing all my Google email accounts and I already never use Google Search at all anymore. F them.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbkB_jNG-zE

People are going to get wise to all these corporations trying to build more detailed identity profiles on them. It's creepy and borders on stalking.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 10-26-2015 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

Users WILL abandon YouTube, just like they are slowly abandoning Gmail for private email providers like Protonmail and Google search for DuckDuckGo, StartPage, Disconnect, etc... (As soon as the Protonmail app is out of Beta, I'm closing all my Google email accounts and I already never use Google Search at all anymore. F them.)
Yea, ok. 2012: 425 Million Gmail users.
2015? 900 Million.
Yep... people leaving Gmail in DROVES. Not.

Quote:
People are going to get wise to all these corporations trying to build more detailed identity profiles on them. It's creepy and borders on stalking.
Some people just DON'T CARE. Google gives me a ton of free stuff. They are more then welcome to know a little about me. This paranoid fear of Big Brother Google tracking everything about me and keeping this info so they can... so they can.... what exactly?
SERVE ME ADS?!?! Yes, that's about it. NOOOOOOOO!

It's estimated 2-4 million people are using Googles pay Music service. Those people get YouTube Red as part of that cost. So you can get ad-free YouTube and Google Music for $10?? Not everyone is going to think that's a bad deal.

Personally, honestly, I don't care enough about YT to give a rats behind about any of this. How some people use YT today as almost their #1 viewing source and rely on it so heavily is beyond me.
And obviously some do or this rage wouldn't be spewing forth.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 AM

11,780 posts, read 8,764,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

I guess that depends on what you watch. I mainly watch product reviews and would have a difficult time paying $10 to watch what is basically an ad to help me decide on making a purchase. If you mainly watch music videos then I could see paying, but they will need to increase the quality of the tracks imo and that would be up to the uploader. A better option, I think, is to charge uploaders for X amount of storage. That might help clean up the trash and junk videos floating around on YouTube and help to generate a profit anyway.

If you can get Google Music to work for you the subscription might also make sense. In my experience, Google Music sucks and can't upload at least 5000 songs of mine, so that added service is worthless to me.
There's also no support like what Apple provides, so I have no option of ever getting Google Music to work.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Some people just DON'T CARE. Google gives me a ton of free stuff. They are more then welcome to know a little about me. This paranoid fear of Big Brother Google tracking everything about me and keeping this info so they can... so they can.... what exactly?
Did I say "Big Brother"???

I said corporations, which do want as much information they can get on you. If you want to provide it for them so they can track you online and serve you ads designed for your precise personality profile when there are free or low-priced private alternative, that's your business.

As for me, I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet