U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 08:02 AM

9,095 posts, read 15,369,995 times

Advertisements

Recently I have had difficulties streaming video in HD without it dropping down to SD automatically, presumably due to bandwidth issues. Working with my ISP, they cannot detect any problems in my service or modem. I do not think it is an outside issue either, as I am consistently testing at >35 MBPS download speeds, where most HD streaming needs about 10% of that.

Most commonly I am using an N wireless router for streaming to a laptop. The distance does go through one wall, but the problem has only begun recently. Maybe over the past month.

My ISP suspects it is having too many wireless devices connected at once, splitting the bandwidth too many places. What I find odd, however, is that only the laptop streaming the video is using the wireless to any extent when we are watching. Our phones would be connected (2 smartphones), but not in active use. So any bandwidth they are using is likely small amounts in the backgroun. I have a DVD player which connects, but it is turned off and therefore not using bandwidth. Same with a tablet.

The router does have three desktops connected by ethernet too, but those too are turned off at the time.

Seems odd that an N router would not be able to support streaming HD video to one device to me, when all other devices on the network are off or asleep.

Could the router be bad? Any suggested tests or ideas? I have reset it, without any change in performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 10:58 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Could the router be bad? Any suggested tests or ideas? I have reset it, without any change in performance.
Make/model of router? Does the laptop have an N card in it?

Old 10-30-2015, 06:40 AM

4,581 posts, read 8,190,996 times
Have you tried streaming from one of the desktops (or plug the laptop in) and see how that looks? That may be an easy way to eliminate/isolate wireless as a potential issue.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:15 AM

4,877 posts, read 2,497,770 times
i assume you are hitting wifi issues. to cross out that variable what i do is take a big file on my desktop and scp it to my laptop and look at the transfer speed as i walk around my house. i sometimes change channels on my router to see which in/de-creases my speed.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:25 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
I'd probably be lazy and just go buy a new router set-up. Hook it all up and see what happens.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:04 AM

12,428 posts, read 10,889,263 times
Need a better router and / or a different channel. If you are in an apartment or congested area then there are too many routers on the same channel. You need to pick a better, low traffic one, or find a router that does this for you.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:36 PM

7,123 posts, read 3,891,444 times
Note that the problems you talk about aren't likely router-based but wireless-based if you're getting good speedtest results. I'd first try to connect the laptop via ethernet and see if that improves things.

If it does then the other suggestions are valid - new channel, new router, etc.

If it doesn't then it's either a router issue or an ISP issue.

It's one of the reasons that I separated my router and my wireless access points. As my router is stable and fast as new technologies come on board I just upgrade the WAPs.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:46 PM

16,965 posts, read 17,133,744 times
Could be a problem with the websites........some of them really suck when it comes to watching videos. Buffering on many sites is choppy at best......some websites will only buffer when you hit the play-button, this many times leads to a really crummeee video experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet