U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 AM

3,475 posts, read 6,748,010 times

Advertisements

I stopped reading at paragraph 3, but to be honest I do agree about the greed thing. There was a time when the internet was just about sharing information. But then somebody realized that it was just another avenue for commerce and advertising and that was the end of that. Good luck putting the genie back in the bottle.

By the way, the people who create the ads don't give a rip if their pages 'jump' or not, and there is nothing you or I or all of City Data together could do about it. Jumping pages mean a piece of the page is taking a long time to load. Likely a fat juicy ad. Try out a browser plugin like 'ad blocker,' or just find the mobile version of a site if you want to avoid that junk. I like to use Facebooks mobile site on my desktop because it loads way faster without ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 AM

22,954 posts, read 24,747,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
if anyone likes advertisements, then enjoy them... I happen not to like them dominating webpages.
I don't know that anyone likes ads, but much like TV, the ads are what pay for the content you're looking at. It's great to say that the internet should be free, but development and infrastructure costs money, and advertisers pay some of that money.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:47 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,627,842 times
You are wrong on so many things, but most of the problems you describe are user based. In other words, you have a crappy connection and don't really understand how the internet works. The mere fact that you even use Yahoo says volumes about your experience level.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:15 AM

12,428 posts, read 10,889,263 times
A good starting point would be upgrading your x286 computer with your 14.4k modem to something a bit more modem.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:35 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Quote:

We need to recall the time when Paid TV was commercial free-
There was never a time when paid TV was commercial free. The first cable companies simply rebroadcast over the air channels, these would have been in areas that did not get good reception. The only commercial free channels would have been premium channels starting with HBO.

As for the rest of your rant if you think you can do a better job publishing web sites have a blast.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-06-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
It's ok that many will interpet the post in many ways, one of the trips that triggered the post, was the problems with the browers, some pages in the middle of reading an article has a pop up advertisement, with the 'close" buttom as hidden as possible. The big banner on Yahoo, which has a close on the top right, if you go to it, it will change and the ad opens in a new brower. "just irritating things".
I don't know if some have searched for particular things, only to go to a site which claims to be about the subject, but has nothing but links leading to a multitude of advetisers. One of the point of the posting, is an avenue to talk about what one likes and dislikes about the internet.

Things will change - I just hope GREED does not continue to make it colluded with time wasting things. But, one thing we have to remember is, in a system where Greed Rules, 'NOTHING IS FREE".
It cost money and time to develop and maintain a website, those ads pay the bills. It's been shown that people are reluctant to pay a subscription fee hence even if it's small one. This is the reason the advertising model dominates.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
It's ok that many will interpet the post in many ways, one of the trips that triggered the post, was the problems with the browers, some pages in the middle of reading an article has a pop up advertisement, with the 'close" buttom as hidden as possible. The big banner on Yahoo, which has a close on the top right, if you go to it, it will change and the ad opens in a new brower. "just irritating things".
I don't know if some have searched for particular things, only to go to a site which claims to be about the subject, but has nothing but links leading to a multitude of advetisers. One of the point of the posting, is an avenue to talk about what one likes and dislikes about the internet.

Things will change - I just hope GREED does not continue to make it colluded with time wasting things. But, one thing we have to remember is, in a system where Greed Rules, 'NOTHING IS FREE".
It cost money and time to develop and maintain a website, those ads pay the bills. It's been shown that people are reluctant to pay a subscription fee hence even if it's small one. This is the reason the advertising model dominates.

As I said if you think you can do it better, have at it. Hosting packages start at about $5 a month.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Jumping pages mean a piece of the page is taking a long time to load.
This can actually be avoided in most cases and is usually the result of poor coding. This is caused by content where the browser doesn't know what the size of the content is going to be. The HTML and CSS are the first files that are downloaded. If for example you have a large image you can set the size of the image or a container it's in with the HTML or CSS. The browser will then render that space for the content to fill preventing the jumping. If you don't do that it first needs to download the content and calculate what the size is.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:54 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
1. There are many other web browsers than IE, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera. Do a search and you'll find them.
2. Paid TV was never ad-free.
3. The internet can't be free. Who's going to pay for the bandwidth? Who's going to pay to replace switches, routers, datacenters, fiber, etc.....you think all of that equipment is free?
4. Comcast has always had data limits. It's just been that the limit was set so high that almost nobody would ever reach them. Now in the day of stream HD media, that's changing. I think data limits suck, but it's the law of supply and demand. If you demand more bandwidth, the cable companies will supply it for a price.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:43 PM

Comcast bandwidth limits apparently are only in select markets, there is none in mine. A few years back they did have a 250GB limit that I think applied to every customer but that went away.

Questions & Answers About Our Data Usage Plan Trials

It's 300GB, that's a lot of data. Even if you were watching "HD" video at 4Mbps it's 160hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or