U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2015, 04:04 PM
 
Location: california
5,897 posts, read 5,044,592 times
Reputation: 6995

Advertisements

1. all business transactions would fail world wide ,there is not enough cash to go around .the economy would definitely collapse. this economy is credit dependent .
2. Infrastructure would collapse , all goods and services that have become dependent on internet would collapse ,no more buying on line and the business that went out of business due to the internet would not be able to make orders to start business again.
3. Snail mail doesn't do well now, and the price of doing business would exponentially inflate out of sight. With out cash and credit, shipper and handlers could no longer deliver food and gas as well as other services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2015, 04:38 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 15,155,516 times
Reputation: 11906
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I like to play the "what if" game sometimes. For me it usually leads to other ideas about things totally unrelated to my original thought. I've always wondered what would happen if the internet just randomly shut down and did not turn back "on".

I think the world wide financial and economic system would collapse, as that would be on more peoples minds then not being able to access social media.

For me it would mean the end of paying bills with ease. Right now everything is auto withdraw online and paperless billing. Gosh I can't stand receiving bills in the mail, I'd rather receive cool stuff or a magazine lol.

So what do you all think would happen if this awesomeness we've all come to rely on in our day to day lives just suddenly stopped? And did not turn back on?
Anybody over sixty would have no problem at all. Back to the good ole days. write checks, balance your books with an adding machine. Call your broker to do stock transactions, drive to the bank to cash your checks.
Without the internet you might go back to only work 40 hrs a week instead of 60+

The young generation would have a problem learning how to do things the way it used to be just like us seniors had to attempt to learn computers.
The term "computer glitch" would not be part of our vocabulary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 06:57 PM
 
Location: 48.0710° N, 118.1989° W
590 posts, read 544,327 times
Reputation: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Anybody over sixty would have no problem at all. Back to the good ole days. write checks, balance your books with an adding machine. Call your broker to do stock transactions, drive to the bank to cash your checks.
Without the internet you might go back to only work 40 hrs a week instead of 60+

The young generation would have a problem learning how to do things the way it used to be just like us seniors had to attempt to learn computers.
The term "computer glitch" would not be part of our vocabulary.
I can tell you back when I had a retail job (jiffy lube) when i was 18 & 19 years old, the power went out for 2 weeks straight. Let me tell you, manually cashing customers out was a massive learning curve for me. Not the math part, but remembering all the steps that a computer usually did for me. I almost had a nervous breakdown. That was a pinnacle defining moment in my life where I stood back and observed just how reliant we are on electronics....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Reading PA
176 posts, read 210,357 times
Reputation: 218
I think a lot of people would be walking around and sitting in front of TV screens like zombies. Oh, my bad they are already doing that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 08:58 PM
 
Location: 48.0710° N, 118.1989° W
590 posts, read 544,327 times
Reputation: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocisful View Post
I think a lot of people would be walking around and sitting in front of TV screens like zombies. Oh, my bad they are already doing that!
And their phones. I'll never forget the time my wife and I and her very attractive single female friend went to country western dance bar. There were so many dudes there without a woman(It was obvious) and most were walking around staring at their phone in one hand and sipping on their drink in the other. My wives friend was like well this is a total bust, maybe I should try to find them on Facebook and ask for a dance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 AM
 
2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
Reputation: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I like to play the "what if" game sometimes. For me it usually leads to other ideas about things totally unrelated to my original thought. I've always wondered what would happen if the internet just randomly shut down and did not turn back "on".

I think the world wide financial and economic system would collapse, as that would be on more peoples minds then not being able to access social media.

For me it would mean the end of paying bills with ease. Right now everything is auto withdraw online and paperless billing. Gosh I can't stand receiving bills in the mail, I'd rather receive cool stuff or a magazine lol.

So what do you all think would happen if this awesomeness we've all come to rely on in our day to day lives just suddenly stopped? And did not turn back on?
One time I was over in Asia when one of the undersea Internet cables was supposedly cut or damaged. That weekend, I couldn't access any funds with my USA ATM cards. Fortunately, I had a local bank account over there and that worked.

If the whole Internet went down? Big trouble. It was designed not to do that, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
1. all business transactions would fail world wide ,there is not enough cash to go around .the economy would definitely collapse. this economy is credit dependent .
2. Infrastructure would collapse , all goods and services that have become dependent on internet would collapse ,no more buying on line and the business that went out of business due to the internet would not be able to make orders to start business again.
3. Snail mail doesn't do well now, and the price of doing business would exponentially inflate out of sight. With out cash and credit, shipper and handlers could no longer deliver food and gas as well as other services.
That's assuming nobody carries cash anymore. I know a lot of people who don't even carry debit cards, don't buy goods and services through the internet. The country would survive and rebound. Believe it or not, people still do use FAX services. There are ways to get around eCommerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top