U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 01:35 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
How are they able to detect someone blocks it??
You simply use JS to detect it. Old article I have bookmarked.

Detecting In-Flight Page Changes with Web Tripwires

You could disable JS but if I want to be a <insert censored word> and force the ad on you I can use CSS overlay that can only be minimized using JS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
A good ad blocker could make it impossible for the website to detect that the ad blocker was being used.
If I wanted to force you to view ads on my website there is not a thing that any ad blocker can do to prevent that. The achilles heal of ad blockers is they depend on the commonality among the ads; urls, folder names, etc. Localized ads using random URL's associated with regular content would be undetectable.

Where there is a will there is a way. Yahoo is probably detecting changes to the page client side, if they truly want to force the issue there is no way an ad blocker will stop them. They could for example include crucial page content within the ad breaking the page if it's blocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 07:08 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,255,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You simply use JS to detect it. Old article I have bookmarked.

Detecting In-Flight Page Changes with Web Tripwires

You could disable JS but if I want to be a <insert censored word> and force the ad on you I can use CSS overlay that can only be minimized using JS.

If I wanted to force you to view ads on my website there is not a thing that any ad blocker can do to prevent that. The achilles heal of ad blockers is they depend on the commonality among the ads; urls, folder names, etc. Localized ads using random URL's associated with regular content would be undetectable.

Where there is a will there is a way. Yahoo is probably detecting changes to the page client side, if they truly want to force the issue there is no way an ad blocker will stop them. They could for example include crucial page content within the ad breaking the page if it's blocked.
As they get more sophisticated, the ad blockers are likely to get more sophisticated too. Eventually the ad blockers are likely to use AI to find the desired content among the ads. But if it were so easy to immediately get sophisticated enough to force ads on people, why would they punish people for using ad blockers?

Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
I find this odd. People that are aware of and use ad blockers should also be smart enough to not use Yahoo

Old 11-26-2015, 08:45 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,677,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I find this odd. People that are aware of and use ad blockers should also be smart enough to not use Yahoo

Tried to rep you for this, but couldn't!

Old 11-28-2015, 03:58 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,733,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
If I wanted to force you to view ads on my website there is not a thing that any ad blocker can do to prevent that.
Hmmmmmmmm Could you show me a page that does this buddy and Ill goto it and see what I see??

Old 11-28-2015, 06:15 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,645,472 times
Quote:
Hmmmmmmmm Could you show me a page that does this buddy and Ill goto it and see what I see??
I suggest you search the Internet, there are quite a few articles on forcing ads past ad blockers.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:09 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,733,453 times
Ill try

I found this page someone listed that when he went to it said "please disable ad blocker" and when I went to it,I SAW NO ADS and read the page fine!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/future-o...esa-60-minutes

Even the video link I got to

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/when-a...mes-a-stampede

Thats a FLASH VIDEO but since I have flash DISABLED,I didnt see it......

I have scripts disabled which is why I think thier detection doesnt work...

Old 11-29-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I tell you what, I'll make one but you need to donate $100 to a charity of my choice if you can't close it.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:

I have scripts disabled which is why I think thier detection doesnt work...
There is thing called CSS that formats the page content, for example you can float a block over the middle of the page. This is like a pop up however it's part of the page content, there is no way for anything to distinguish whether it's essential part of the design or an ad other than what is contained in the block itself.

The typical implementation is to have JS activate it and there is link on it that uses JS to close it. This implementation is too insure someone like yourself who has JS disabled can see the content. I don't need to activate it with JS, I could have it overlayed by default. Not only will you see the ad you'll have no way to close it either.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:35 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,677,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is thing called CSS that formats the page content, for example you can float a block over the middle of the page. This is like a pop up however it's part of the page content, there is no way for anything to distinguish whether it's essential part of the design or an ad other than what is contained in the block itself.

The typical implementation is to have JS activate it and there is link on it that uses JS to close it. This implementation is too insure someone like yourself who has JS disabled can see the content. I don't need to activate it with JS, I could have it overlayed by default. Not only will you see the ad you'll have no way to close it either.
But his IE6 browser probably doesn't support the CSS needed to do this .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or