U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:03 PM

924 posts, read 572,061 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been receiving e-mails from an online store for an order that someone has ordered that has the same e-mail address I do. I have this other persons, name, mailing address, the contents of the order on an e-mail sent to me. I have never shopped at this store.

Is this more common than I believed? This has never happened to me before. I contacted the store by phone to try and clear this up but after 15 minutes on the line I gave up. So I unsubscribed to the e-mails but I wonder if the purchaser is in the dark about the order, although it was delivered according to an e-mail, and further shopping ops from the store.

Any insights would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 08:39 PM

684 posts, read 521,014 times
your email address is unique. There is a number of possibilities.
Maybe some-one stole credit card and is ordering stuff online in your name ?
There is no store, it's a scam to get you do something.
[mod cut: no need to be rude!]

Check the email to make sure your credit card has not been used. Then log in to CreditKarma to make sure some-one did not open a cc account in your name.

Last edited by elnina; 11-26-2015 at 11:13 PM..

Old 11-26-2015, 11:00 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Might simply be a typo when they entered the email address.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:31 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,354,012 times
You have the other person's name and address, it would be a simple courtesy to send them a note explaining that they might have entered an email address incorrectly, and then forget about it. Don't identify yourself when you do, in case it is a scam of some kind.

Or, just forget about it, and assume the article was shipped to the correct address and they have by now taken delivery.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:17 AM

4,581 posts, read 8,190,996 times
It's likely that there was a mistake when the email was originally provided. I get these things from time to time. I'd usually just forward it to the retailer's support address and let them take care of it. I would normally not just do a reply. In many cases, it may be an automated notification, and the address it came from isn't monitored. But forwarding it also ensure you are sending it to the address you found, and know to be legit.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:58 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
I have a similar issue. I've seen a couple email orders that I did not place show up in my inbox. One was for pizza (didn't even offer me a slice) all the way, across country, in California. However, I checked my bank account and credit cards and no purchase for food was made. However, I have seen emails coming in for someone of my same name that is a member of some Catholic group. This fellow with the awesome name had a gmail account just like mine, except there was a period in between the first and last name. Apparently you can register an email address with a period in it, but gmail doesn't read the period when email is sent to that particular account and forwards those emails to the similar account without the period.

The bad thing is, I think this person also had an Amazon account with this same email, and had changed his Amazon password, which means I got locked out of mine. After that, I took out all financial info and changed the email address to something completely different. Still don't think that helped, considering they send you an email to the old account letting you know the Amazon account's email has been changed to the new email account, lol! Don't think anything malicious was going on, since there has been no foul play with any of my financial accounts, but it's a weird issue that Gmail needs to figure out.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Apparently you can register an email address with a period in it, but gmail doesn't read the period when email is sent to that particular account and forwards those emails to the similar account without the period.
The period is part of the specifications for email and Gmail will most certainly not be ignoring it. The person using it is either forgetting the period or whoever is taking the order thinks they know better and dropped it.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The period is part of the specifications for email and Gmail will most certainly not be ignoring it. The person using it is either forgetting the period or whoever is taking the order thinks they know better and dropped it.

Actually that isn't true:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10313?hl=en

"Gmail doesn't recognize dots as characters within usernames, you can add or remove the dots from a Gmail address without changing the actual destination address; they'll all go to your inbox, and only yours. In short:

Old 11-30-2015, 10:46 PM

I stand corrected however this is a Google policy. If they are stripping the periods no one should be able to create an account with same string of characters. There is no way something like that could fly under radar.

On a side note I want to thank you for this, you just made fighting the spam a whole lot easier. I often have registrations on my forum from bots with vnf.dfvfe.vrvre.tvte@gmail.com. Now I know why, they can avoid the email ban by adding periods.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I stand corrected however this is a Google policy. If they are stripping the periods no one should be able to create an account with same string of characters. There is no way something like that could fly under radar.

On a side note I want to thank you for this, you just made fighting the spam a whole lot easier. I often have registrations on my forum from bots with vnf.dfvfe.vrvre.tvte@gmail.com. Now I know why, they can avoid the email ban by adding periods.
You're welcome! This what has me puzzled. Although I just decided to go through and create a new email account with Gmail. At the section where you would type in your username, it says you can use letters, numbers, and periods. But, once you do this, then Gmail doesn't recognize the periods? This makes no sense to me at all. Apparently the gentlemen with my same name created his account and placed a period in between his first and last name, so Google accepted the new email creation. However, when emails are sent to him, Google apparently ignores the period and I get his emails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet