U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 04:40 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,808,944 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed the limited library that Pandora uses? I notice it less when setting up "rock" stations, but I've tried to set up stations for "fusion" and "easy listening (lounge)" music, and it seems the same albums pop up over and over. And I've also noticed that songs that aren't even close to my "seeds" pop up on my stations (Conway Twitty on my "big band" station; Percy Faith on my "pop and light rock" station.) I realize they rate songs on instruments, style, etc. rather than genre, but those are quite radical differences.

What is the actual size of their library?

Are there certain labels that don't even deal with them?

Do songs show up in their "seeds" listing that they don't even have the rights to?

(Before you type in a response telling me to use Spotify or something else, or asking why I would want to listen to those genres.......DON'T)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 06:43 PM

25,862 posts, read 32,417,404 times
I tried to set up a rockabilly station and was disappointed. So, that was that.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I tried to set up a rockabilly station and was disappointed. So, that was that.
Who did it try to play? Or didn't it even have any artists you knew to use as "seeds"?

Old 11-28-2015, 07:12 PM

25,862 posts, read 32,417,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Who did it try to play? Or didn't it even have any artists you knew to use as "seeds"?
I don't remember. It wasn't Carl Perkins.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:09 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,354,012 times
Mixed, I established a playlist for a Brazilian singer, and all the songs it plays are sung in Portuguese, by a fairly broad range of artists. But I also set one up for a French Canadian singer, and every song Pandora plays (except by that artist) is in English by Americanesque artists. Apparently, Marie Jo Therio is the only French Canadian female singer they have in their library, which is surprising, because she is pretty obscure among French Canadian singers. Same goes for Faye Wong, Pandora will play her songs in Chinese, and then everything else in the mix is in English.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:39 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:

They won't tell anyone that.

Quote:
Are there certain labels that don't even deal with them?
Of course, just like every other service.

Quote:
Do songs show up in their "seeds" listing that they don't even have the rights to?
They should not.

Quote:
(Before you type in a response telling me to use Spotify or something else, or asking why I would want to listen to those genres.......DON'T)
No one will tell you to listen to another genre. That's ridiculous. But why are you so into Pandora if it isn't doing what you want?
IMO every single one of those services have flaws.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:18 PM

25,945 posts, read 42,460,265 times
Quote:
"Pandora’s library of around 1 million.", "Pandora had 800,000 tracks from 80,000 artists in its library, and 80 million users."

REFERENCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_Radio

Quote:
Sorry, That ain't going to work...

Old 12-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
"Pandora’s library of around 1 million.", "Pandora had 800,000 tracks from 80,000 artists in its library, and 80 million users."

REFERENCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_Radio

Sorry, That ain't going to work...
So I see. Some people just GOTTA. I should know better than to expect civil discourse.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:27 AM

3,395 posts, read 1,949,189 times
I do use Pandora a lot but they definitely have a limited library. When I get bored of Pandora I use Spotify next. I can never just stick with one service. They all have enough flaws/limitations for me that keep me from being loyal to just one.

My favorite is Accuradio. I deleted it and kept it off for a long time but I revisited it recently and it appears they brought it back to what made me love it. Occasionally it will crash but I feel like it has enough variety. Sometimes I wonder if it has too much variety at times because on the Canadian Pop station for example there are so many obscure artists that I've never heard of..which I do like the less popular but less popular mainstream. I'm not really into indie stuff most of the time except for a few songs.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:39 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
So I see. Some people just GOTTA. I should know better than to expect civil discourse.
a) He answered your question.
b) He wasn't even a little rude.

Nickchick is right on the money: if you aren't using the PAY version of Pandaora, why the hell WOULDN'T you try another service? They all have a free version. And there's a ton of them.
Personally I like a combo of Pandora, Slacker Radio and Spotify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or