U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:14 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,414,052 times

Advertisements

Recently, I've been forwarding material from one of my e-mail addresses to another. It seems now to take several minutes for the forwarded mail to reach the addressee. The time stamp in my recipient inbox is 3-4 minutes later than the time stamp of the originating Sent box. (Sending Yahoo to Gmail.)

I used to be able to use email as a chat alternative, because the messages would go through in a second or two. Has there been a general slowdown of e-mail transmissions? Is this because the modems are no longer capable of processing the huge volume of messages? Is it because emails now consist of huge amounts of data, instead of simple text messages? Are Yahoo and Gmail delaying messages from each other, de-prioritizing messages from each other's sources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 01:17 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,659,507 times
The answers to all your questions is no...

Old 12-07-2015, 06:46 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,772,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Recently, I've been forwarding material from one of my e-mail addresses to another. It seems now to take several minutes for the forwarded mail to reach the addressee. The time stamp in my recipient inbox is 3-4 minutes later than the time stamp of the originating Sent box. (Sending Yahoo to Gmail.)

I used to be able to use email as a chat alternative, because the messages would go through in a second or two. Has there been a general slowdown of e-mail transmissions? Is this because the modems are no longer capable of processing the huge volume of messages? Is it because emails now consist of huge amounts of data, instead of simple text messages? Are Yahoo and Gmail delaying messages from each other, de-prioritizing messages from each other's sources?
Have you experimented sending gmail to yahoo to see if there's the same kind of lag time? I know that emails received by gmail, Comcast, and other email systems can sometimes scrutinize emails from aol, yahoo, Hotmail, to pre-decide if they're spam and block them before they can get to a recipient's inbox or spam folder. Maybe it's this scrutiny that is causing delay?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:19 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The answers to all your questions is no...
What he said...

Old 12-07-2015, 10:54 AM

I opened the full headers from one message, that I forwarded from my Yahoo mailbox to my Gmail mailbox. Here are two lines copied from the full headers of the same message:

========
Received: by 10.140.39.197 with SMTP id v63csp752287qgv;
Fri, 4 Dec 2015 12:28:17 -0800 (PST)

Received: by 216.39.60.192; Fri, 04 Dec 2015 20:25:16 +0000
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 20:25:14 +0000 (UTC)
=============

How so you account for the discrepancy of more than 3 minutes between one time stamp and another, within the header of the same message?

Last edited by jtur88; 12-07-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 11:20 AM

25,896 posts, read 32,455,519 times
I quite using yahoo email years ago, due to speed and message delivery. I have cut back on Gmail recently. Using iCloud from Apple for a lot of my emails.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:23 PM

3,547 posts, read 5,683,767 times
Quote:
I opened the full headers from one message, that I forwarded from my Yahoo mailbox to my Gmail mailbox. Here are two lines copied from the full headers of the same message:

========
Received: by 10.140.39.197 with SMTP id v63csp752287qgv;
Fri, 4 Dec 2015 12:28:17 -0800 (PST)

Received: by 216.39.60.192; Fri, 04 Dec 2015 20:25:16 +0000
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 20:25:14 +0000 (UTC)
=============

How so you account for the discrepancy of more than 3 minutes between one time stamp and another, within the header of the same message?
Those are two different servers, so it could be a lot of things, including:

The servers clocks aren't likely to have exactly synced time, so there could be a couple of minute difference between them.

Most likely the servers could just be under heavy load, and are taking some time to work through their queues.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Those are two different servers, so it could be a lot of things, including:

The servers clocks aren't likely to have exactly synced time, so there could be a couple of minute difference between them.

Most likely the servers could just be under heavy load, and are taking some time to work through their queues.
1. I actually sat here and waited for the e-mail to arrive at my second mailbox. It really took about three minutes -- which is what made me suspicious enough to post this thread. (I wasn't just routinely cruising through headers and stumbling across discrepancies.) Servers don't synch their clocks to each other, but to correct time. Can some servers clocks be three minutes off? I have seven clocks in my house, and none of them are three minutes off, not even a cheap watch I never bothered to reset from DST.

2. Which answers my question. Servers now are coming under such a heavy load, they are taking time to work through the queues. Has that always been the case, or is the load now expanding faster than the capacity of servers to accommodate them, and will it keep getting slower and slower?

Old 12-07-2015, 05:49 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,819,503 times
If I didn't have the same E-mail address on Yahoo since I got my first computer in the 1980s, I would have quit long ago. What a mess. It's something weird every day. Lately, when I delete E-mails, everything goes along fine until after deleting about 15 things, it suddenly stops. It won't delete any additional messages until I reboot my computer. I can't even log on to Yahoo mail via Firefox anymore. I get a message saying that there are cookies on my computer blocking my access to Yahoo. But it won't tell me how to get rid of them. Might be Firefox's fault. They're as annoying as Yahoo lately.

Could general Internet slowness be due to the fact that many sites are in the process of migrating to Cloudfare's new HTTP/2, an upgrade of HTTP1.1, which has been around since 1999? 75% of the top one million sites are upgrading, according to Cloudfare.
More info: Cloudflare is defaulting all of its users to HTTP/2 today.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:49 AM

3,547 posts, read 5,683,767 times
Quote:
1. I actually sat here and waited for the e-mail to arrive at my second mailbox. It really took about three minutes -- which is what made me suspicious enough to post this thread. (I wasn't just routinely cruising through headers and stumbling across discrepancies.) Servers don't synch their clocks to each other, but to correct time. Can some servers clocks be three minutes off? I have seven clocks in my house, and none of them are three minutes off, not even a cheap watch I never bothered to reset from DST.

2. Which answers my question. Servers now are coming under such a heavy load, they are taking time to work through the queues. Has that always been the case, or is the load now expanding faster than the capacity of servers to accommodate them, and will it keep getting slower and slower?
I have a tablet that's currently 8 minutes ahead of my phone / tower (but everything else is within a minute). Of my 6 servers, 5 Windows servers are within a minute of each other, but the Linux one is about two minutes behind. so it's possible (mostly depending upon settings in the OS).

None of this is new ... I have a Gmail account, and it routinely takes substantially longer to get a message to that account than it does to accounts on my own servers, and has for years.

I don't think there's anything that's universally different now than there ever has been. This is all very dependent upon a ton of different issues, including how many servers each mail provider has provisioned, which server you connect to, current load at any given time of day, routing between data centers, etc.

There is no single server at any of these providers; as load on the overall system increases they provision more servers to handle the load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or