U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 05:43 PM

32,850 posts, read 60,985,784 times

Advertisements

Usenet was so much fun - a whole group of people to talk with about so many different topics. It was addicting. That was the late 80s, and on a MacPlus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 04:52 PM

1,095 posts, read 832,323 times
I bought a 486DX-33 computer with 16Mb memory in January 1993. It came with DOS 5 and Windows 3.1. When I joined the local computer club, I had the fastest computer. The internet charged by the hour, so I did not sign up. I took an assembly class at the local community college that fall, which started my formal computer training.

They used to have these huge computer shows in Akron. I bought a 2400Kb modem, which I used to download drivers from companies' bulletin boards. These were long distance calls, so it was frustrating, especially if I accidentally disconnected during the download.

When the internet became available as a flat-rate charge, I visited the local Radio Shack and asked to be connected (They had a promotion with Sprint). The salesman said there was no local number, then asked if I had any more questions.

I ended up signing on with a local internet company. By that time, I had Windows NT, but could not get it to work with the local provider. I made a trip to the next computer show and purchased Windows 95, using a dual-boot setup. Although the internet provider's software did not setup completely under NT, the real problem was I had entered the phone number with dashes. I figured out how to get it set up in NT.

Downloading a Service Pack was an endurance exercise, as you had to sit there for hours moving the mouse and occasionally clicking another web page so you weren't disconnected.

The local internet provider offered a web page, newsgroups, and even a Linux Shell account. I worked my way up to 56k modems, but could only connect at 45.2Kb max. Usually it was 44Kb. Wet conditions caused problems with connection speeds.

I stuck with the local company a long time, waiting for them to introduce wireless in my area. The newsgroups and Linux shell went by the wayside, and when I realized that they were not going to introduce wireless in my neighborhood, it was time for a change.

I signed up with my phone company, CenturyLink, for 0.5MB DSL. I now have 6MB, although I get a little over 3MB. I still miss the personal web pages, newsgroups, and Linux Shell account.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:00 PM

2,675 posts, read 2,021,006 times
15 - 20 years ago, you could have dial-up Prodigy and surf pages way faster than you can today. All these stupid ads - video no less - make a lot of pages I would ordinarily visit impossible to navigate - so I no longer do. Internet is quickly going the way of cable TV. I can see a day coming when I abandon it.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 AM

31,154 posts, read 50,336,736 times
I had a friend who got online in 1983. He had to call Chicago and he could down-load the NYTimes.

In 1987 I started going online using a BBS' to play games.

In 1991 I got into messing with FIDO boards to play games on.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:52 AM

6,515 posts, read 9,303,792 times
When did chat rooms start to become big within the internet? I think after texting on phones became popular chat rooms really started to fizzle out.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:59 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,045,695 times
In the late '90s, my supervisor used to call logging on as "going out there."

"Zenstyle, can you go out there and find a picture for me?"

Only companies had T-1 lines; the rest of use had dial-up, and we didn't think it was slow. The idea of our home computers zipping as fast as our work machines was unthinkable.

In 1998, Mr. Zen and I couldn't decide between WebTV and getting a big old CRT computer. Someone told me; "oh, go to the Gateway2000 store! Computers nowadays are loaded with everything you'll need!"

Tee hee.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:55 PM

6,515 posts, read 9,303,792 times
In fact, it was thanks to slow home internet and fast work internet that Cyber Monday was coined and became something of an online retail holiday.

Cyber Monday picked up its name because it was the very first day most people returned to work after the Thanksgiving Weekend. After Black Friday people would use the faster internet on their employer networks to browse the web and surf for deals, it didn't take long for retailers to catch on to this trend.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:12 PM

1,672 posts, read 876,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I thought it was great, especially google. You could really get some great information and learn some neat stuff doing random searches. Now, google is awful. They are just too busy trying to drive search results to ad placements, which destroys the whole experience, not to mention the integrity. I just don't get it w/ that company. How much more money do they need?

Just like eBay. It was pretty neat and friendly in the early days, but it's a corporate monster now that has fees that constantly go up. Again, they're fixated at ignoring some search criteria in order to drive traffic to where they want it to go.
Now I'm feeling nostalgic for the "wild west" Internet of the 90s to mid 00s, where Google and other search engines actually helped you find new interesting websites based on your search. These days, it seems like Huffington Post, Livestrong, Wikihow and other garbage are ALWAYS relevant to every search query I could think of. Sure they are. After one of Google's policy changes, traveling the expanse of Internet became more difficult.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:47 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,897,584 times
I thought the mid-1990's WWW wasn't super disruptive and laughed at those who swore it was. Mobile internet today, however, is proving itself to be more disruptive than the dot coms, and that's in a short time (If we regard 2007 as the dawn of mobile and the rekindling of interest in the internet).

Old 01-03-2016, 11:43 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,045,695 times
Let 2016 be the year the phrase "disruptive" (technology) dies a deserved death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or