U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 AM

12,412 posts, read 18,363,981 times

Advertisements

I was in Sweden. We used DSL
It wasn't that bad at all actially. 1996
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 07:03 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I was in Sweden. We used DSL
It wasn't that bad at all actially. 1996
Wow! DSL in Sweden back in 1996?

Old 01-22-2016, 10:37 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,733,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan
I was a teenager and I was fascinated by the early internet.
Ya I guess I was also....... I was excited using COMPUSERVE to get to the net!! (Or a local BBS that had access)

Old 01-23-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Wow! DSL in Sweden back in 1996?
Yes, remember that clearly. It was new and a big deal, and the company I worked for had it. At home we only had dial up. But I remember we got these brand new computers, flat screens and they had the internet Icon on the home screen. All you did was click on it and you were connected. No dial up. It was pretty fast too if I remember right. My dad had dial up and it was slow as expected. This was late 1996.

Gosh, I remember the old internet from then. It was more freedoms, less restrictions. Chat rooms was a big deal. They were all over the internet. No moderation, no memberships, no fees. You just search for chat rooms and you got a bunch of hits. It was allot of fun. I used Alta VIsta, Web Crawler. Do you remember Netscape? Is that around anymore?

Old 01-23-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
What was "shocking" about the internet back then was the idea that you could chat with people from other countries and even other continents without having to pay a penny for it.

Imagine that: you can chat with a friend in another continent without having to pay for an expensive international call! I remember me trying to explain that to my father, and he didn't believe me: "there is no free lunch, who is going to pay for that?"

Yes..lol Thats how I met my husband. We met on in a webchat. I was in Sweden and he was deployed with the US Army. haha That was 19 years ago.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:47 AM

20,661 posts, read 19,613,404 times
I think it was 1997. I thought it was a waste of money. Then we turned it on and I realized that I could access the Louvre in Paris and see the art. Hooked.

Next, I experimented with typing in my late grandfather's name and the village he was born in, back in England. I did that every day. In three months, all of a sudden up came a newly formed genealogy group that covered that little village! It was terrifying to post to the group but when I did, someone from New Zealand looked it all up for me in a census and put it onto the internet mailing list group! That was a very emotional moment.

It was better in those days though. There were no ads, no annoying popups, no spam that I can remember. We had Netscape Navigator which was easy to use and attractive to look at. We had search engines like Excite and DogPile, lots of others too. You used the one that most precisely matched the type of search you were doing.

Email was just amazing to me. I could email my friends and relatives all over the world instantly. It was hard to believe. We would write long, detailed emails.

But the downside was dial up. OMG. Getting disconnected every few minutes. We needed to have the phone right beside the computer so we could call......whatevertheirnamewas.....to help us get back online. We spent more time on ____________ than we did online.

I never cared about using Word or anything else, not even pictures in those days. It was all about research and communication. Ebay was just starting and I sold on it without any pictures! I would run to the computer to get the news rather than watching it on tv. It was the information super highway.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:57 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,408,534 times
First pc in 1996 cost me $500, I bought it at a local computer show, same thing at a store would have been 800 at least. It was INCREDIBLY slow even back then. A 56K modem helped a lot, I think that cost me $40. Since I constantly pushed the limits of this cheap box, I got really good at reinstalling Windows, downloading drivers, installing memory and cards. I got to be freindly with the IT guy at work, when he found this out he let me and another engineer do a lot of the PC setup in our area. We had fun and it releived him of the mundane jobs like sitting for 2 hours feeding in a stack of 13 floppies to install Word or Excel.

At a point, I think it was in 97 or 98, things exploded everyone wanted to go online, but AOL didnt have enough phone numbers. Especially in the evening it would go like this, click to connect, get a busy signal, try another number, busy signal. Sometimes it took 15 minutes or more to get on. Youd be online, all of a sudden you would hear click and AOL would say Goodbye and you were tossed offline. Then they got more numbers but the Internet was always slow thru AOL. I changed to a local provider, which was much faster surfing and no issues connecting.

Compuserve back then was an AOL competitor. in 1999 they had a promotion, sign up for 3 years at 19 a month and they would pay $400 towards a computer. I was already paying the same price anyway and could use a new PC, so I went to Circuit City, signed up, and got a brand new computer, my cost after the Compuserve rebate was 75 bucks.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:14 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Yes, remember that clearly. It was new and a big deal, and the company I worked for had it. At home we only had dial up.
Oh OK, for a second I thought you were saying you had DSL at home back in 96 and I was thinking "No freakin' way!"

I don't think DSL/Cable became widely available until about 99 here in Southern CA. I was on dial-up (AOL then Earthlink/Prodigy) until about late 1999 then I switched to cable Internet with Cox.

I made the switch real quick after losing my cool trying to play Delta Force online on Dial-up against people who were already on high-speed Internet!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
Our first home computer was purchased around 1998 or 99, off the home shopping network. It was a Proteva Computer. Pentium II processor, with I think about 64MB of RAM, 4GB hard drive if I'm not mistaken, 56K modem. Had the brand new Windows 98 SE on it! We used a company called Digital Data to dial up to the net with. Later on, we switched from them to another local company that had much more reliable dial up service. Anyway, back in those days, I could spend hours searching Yahoo's directory of websites. Back then, you could find personal websites that had MP3s posted, even though it would take me about a half an hour to download one 128kbps MP3.

Once we got the internet at home, my social life started going down the drain, because we had the phone line tied up so much, nobody could get through! And we were not about to pay for a second phone line as well. Thank goodness, around 2001 or so, we were able to switch to cable internet. I think it was something like 1mbps download speed, but that seemed lightening fast compared to dial up.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:58 AM

5,669 posts, read 5,268,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Oh OK, for a second I thought you were saying you had DSL at home back in 96 and I was thinking "No freakin' way!"

I don't think DSL/Cable became widely available until about 99 here in Southern CA. I was on dial-up (AOL then Earthlink/Prodigy) until about late 1999 then I switched to cable Internet with Cox.

I made the switch real quick after losing my cool trying to play Delta Force online on Dial-up against people who were already on high-speed Internet!
Yup, it was mid-1999 here in North Texas. I really liked my first DSL line. Maxed out at about 82 KBytes/sec as I recall (it was advertised as a 750 kbit/sec connection as I recall, so figuring about 1/8th off for overhead that was about right). Pings were nice and low for Unreal Tournament, which was essential for anything competitive or non-frustrating. My previous line had been a 33.6K line which gave me terrible pings and a max download speed around 3.8 KBytes/sec, so this was over 20 times faster. The 33.6K also booted me every 120 minutes like clockwork, necessitating a wait in a queue to get back in.

My current speed hits about 8 MBytes/sec when it really gets rolling -- about 100 times faster than that first DSL and over 2000 times faster than the previous dial-up. 2,156 times faster in only 17 years is a doubling in speed every 18-19 months. Hope we can keep that up. If so, we could be downloading (wired home connection) at 1 GigaByte per second by 2027.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or