U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:33 AM

13,312 posts, read 20,359,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well buddy one time a few years ago when we were vacationing in cape cod I was on dialup (28.8) and it did not seem to awefully bad!!
Yes, there once was a time when 28.8 was pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 01:28 AM

1,111 posts, read 597,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I had the Motorola Surfboard sb6121. The new one is Surfboard sb6141. It's capable of faster speeds than the 6121. I wonder which one you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I had the good old sb6141. That thing was great for its day. I replaced it with the sb6183 just a few weeks ago. Being able to bond more channels makes a world of difference. Especially with uploading.
Quote:
Now that you mention it, I might have that one. I keep getting the numbers mixed up. My modem is behind some stuff, so I can't get to it right now to check the actual model number.
Yup, and the SB6190 is the current one.

2011: SB6121
2012: SB6141
2014: SB6183
2015: SB6090

I don't think anyone who bought an SB6121 still uses it. It was plagued with DOCSIS issues.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:03 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,087 times
The real trick they are pulling, is them claiming to serve the fastest internet in my area. I have their "Blast!" speeds, which in my area are supposed to be 115 megabits down and 12 up. Past 3 months has been Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results which is not 115 down. Yes I've called to complain, yes it's an issue in the area, yes they are "working on it." No it will not be fixed until late February or early March. Yes I consider it very much their fault that it has taken this long, I called them 3 months ago when the issue originally started, and was brushed off by the technician that came out. Was only after 2 and a half months of me constantly bugging them that they finally looked into it and realized something was wrong with the node. And that, people, is comcrap's true trickery.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:51 PM

1,111 posts, read 597,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
The real trick they are pulling, is them claiming to serve the fastest internet in my area. I have their "Blast!" speeds, which in my area are supposed to be 115 megabits down and 12 up. Past 3 months has been Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results which is not 115 down. Yes I've called to complain, yes it's an issue in the area, yes they are "working on it." No it will not be fixed until late February or early March. Yes I consider it very much their fault that it has taken this long, I called them 3 months ago when the issue originally started, and was brushed off by the technician that came out. Was only after 2 and a half months of me constantly bugging them that they finally looked into it and realized something was wrong with the node. And that, people, is comcrap's true trickery.
Which cable modem do you have?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Which cable modem do you have?
One of their new dual band wireless modems, got it about 3 months ago when I first reported the issue. It's not a steady 5 all day long... in between the hours of 4am and noon it's up where it should be... noon on though it's a crapshoot if I can even watch a youtube video.

They've already told me it's an issue with the node... the issue being running 4 towns off one node.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:48 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,113,248 times
Quote:
I recently had to upgrade my modem to take advantage of higher speeds they were offering. I went out and bought my own. No nagging pop-ups like you describe.
Exactly. Did this a year ago and no problems

Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Yup, and the SB6190 is the current one.

2011: SB6121
2012: SB6141
2014: SB6183
2015: SB6090

I don't think anyone who bought an SB6121 still uses it. It was plagued with DOCSIS issues.
I'm glad you posted the info. Turns out I did get the 6141. I guess I should upgrade again. This one is working great though. Will probably need to upgrade the next time they upgrade my system.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:33 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
Default The plot thickens

Ok, to recap: Comcast sent my online notices and even snail mail telling me my current modem was causing a problem and would no longer be supported, etc. So, after reading a bit here it seemed logical to assume that I did not have a modem that supported DOCSIS 3.0. So, I ordered a new modem and installed it the other day.

For the heck of it, I looked at my "old" modem. A Motorola Surfboard SB6120. On the side, it says DOCSIS 3.0. WTF?

Was I scammed by Xfinity? Did they sent those notices to everyone, even the people who didn't really need to upgrade? Maybe they're just trying to scam people into renting their modems so they can expand their wi-fi hotspot network?

Now, my current modem is a Netgear CM600 DOCSIS 3.0. Same as the old one? It's beginning to seem like I spent money for no good reason.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Ok, to recap: Comcast sent my online notices and even snail mail telling me my current modem was causing a problem and would no longer be supported, etc. So, after reading a bit here it seemed logical to assume that I did not have a modem that supported DOCSIS 3.0. So, I ordered a new modem and installed it the other day.

For the heck of it, I looked at my "old" modem. A Motorola Surfboard SB6120. On the side, it says DOCSIS 3.0. WTF?

Was I scammed by Xfinity? Did they sent those notices to everyone, even the people who didn't really need to upgrade? Maybe they're just trying to scam people into renting their modems so they can expand their wi-fi hotspot network?

Now, my current modem is a Netgear CM600 DOCSIS 3.0. Same as the old one? It's beginning to seem like I spent money for no good reason.
You were not scammed. DOCSIS 3.0 has been update to, I think 3.1, or something like that. I don't have time to look it up right now.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post

Comcast may still have an old modem linked to your account which generated the notice that you needed to upgrade. Send the Netgear back and go back to using the Motorola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or