U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 11:21 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times

Advertisements

It seems as though Comcast has a new trick.

This morning my internet was acting very strange. Google and YouTube worked fine, but most other pages just wouldn't load. At some point, I got a message page from Comcast telling the that my modem was the cause of slow speeds, and that I could upgrade to one of their modems for "no charge." That seemed like BS, so I unplugged both my modem and my Apple Airport Extreme wi-fi router for a few seconds and then everything started working normally again.

I guess Comcast wasn't satisfied that I didn't call their number and accept their "generous" offer, so they apparently tried slowing down my internet again. And again, I got a pop-up offer for a new modem. I closed that window and again rebooted my modem. I think I went through that process one more time and then they finally stopped bothering me. Everything's now working fine. And I don't believe for a second my modem has anything to do with the problems I was having.

Of course, the reason they want you to use their modem is so that they can turn it into a wi-fi hotspot for use by any other Comcast customer that happens to be in the general vicinity. Who would want their network to be used that way? Why should they be able to use my equipment to make money?

Don't fall for the ruse. Just say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 11:27 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
You can still use their modem and not have it be a wifi hotspot. The wifi hotspot is an optional feature.

That being said, it's good to reboot a router every few months. They tend to slow down over time. Not sure I've experienced this with cable modems, however.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You can still use their modem and not have it be a wifi hotspot. The wifi hotspot is an optional feature.

That being said, it's good to reboot a router every few months. They tend to slow down over time. Not sure I've experienced this with cable modems, however.
The hotspot is an "optional" feature that comes enabled. You have to go into the settings to turn it off, and I'm guessing most people don't even realize they're being used and so they leave it on.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:00 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,733,453 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777
This morning my internet was acting very strange. Google and YouTube worked fine, but most other pages just wouldn't load. At some point, I got a message page from Comcast telling the that my modem was the cause of slow speeds, and that I could upgrade to one of their modems for "no charge." That seemed like BS, so I unplugged both my modem and my Apple Airport Extreme wi-fi router for a few seconds and then everything started working normally again.
Yup they try ANYTHING to get you using thier stuff!!!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:04 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Agreed, but most of their residential equipment is junk, and the upgrade will be free, but you'll still get a monthly rental fee.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Agreed, but most of their residential equipment is junk, and the upgrade will be free, but you'll still get a monthly rental fee.
They call it an "upgrade," but is it really? And I don't remember any mention of a monthly rental fee. In any event, I did a speed test yesterday afternoon and the download speed was around 80, so the modem works fine.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:58 AM

13,312 posts, read 20,359,563 times
I recently had to upgrade my modem to take advantage of higher speeds they were offering. I went out and bought my own. No nagging pop-ups like you describe.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I recently had to upgrade my modem to take advantage of higher speeds they were offering. I went out and bought my own. No nagging pop-ups like you describe.
I have my own modem. That's a problem for them, as their wi-fi hotspot program only works with their modems.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:15 AM

13,312 posts, read 20,359,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I have my own modem. That's a problem for them, as their wi-fi hotspot program only works with their modems.
I meant that they had upgraded my speeds without me doing anything. My modem was one that couldn't take advantage of the speeds. They tried to get me to get their modem, but I just went and got my own. They left me alone after that. Did they upgrade your speeds recently? Do you have an older modem? Maybe it's not that, but it reminds me of what I went through.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I meant that they had upgraded my speeds without me doing anything. My modem was one that couldn't take advantage of the speeds. They tried to get me to get their modem, but I just went and got my own. They left me alone after that. Did they upgrade your speeds recently? Do you have an older modem? Maybe it's not that, but it reminds me of what I went through.
I don't know if they upgraded me recently, or not. The modem I have is a Motorola that I bought seven or eight years ago, and it's working just fine. The latest speed test I ran showed an 80 mbps download speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or