U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 12:25 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,550,568 times

Advertisements

I disabled flash block and ad block on my Firefox browser (nice features, but like every past release, it leaks memory like crazy, and has to be rebooted up after a while), then forget that I'd done that. Got back on the internet, and wow, so that's what it's been blocking! Clicked on USA Today, and a few seconds into reading something the whole screen changed into something else. Some sort of full page ad. Went on to other sites, and all manner of vids were playing. My memory usage kept getting higher and higher until the PC just crawled. How do people use the internet w/o these features?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 02:52 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,755,236 times
I usually keep flash disabled GLOBALLY unless Im gonna use it (Play a game for example)

Old 12-26-2015, 01:24 PM

29,719 posts, read 16,104,399 times
I have the WhiteHat Aviator browser - which by default disconnects from ad services. So it is fast, and you get none of the ad stuff. Google aggressively came after them and called their browser unsafe - and it may have some bugs... but I like it and have had no problems with it to this point. It is faster than any other browser I have.

WHITEHAT RELEASES AVIATOR BROWSER FOR WINDOWS
Aviator is built on the Chromium code base, like Google Chrome, and is designed with security, privacy and anonymity in mind from the beginning. The browser, by default, doesn’t allow any tracking of users’ movements on the Web and WhiteHat doesn’t have any partnerships with advertisers or tracking companies. It also has DuckDuckGo set as the default search engine, a major change from most other browsers, which typically have Google or Bing as the default. DuckDuckGo doesn’t save any search history data from users or perform any tracking.

The disconnection from ad networks is a big part of the security and privacy model for Aviator. The browser doesn’t simply block ads, the way that many browser extensions do. Instead, the browser doesn’t make any connections to ad networks at all, which stops a large part of the tracking done on Web pages and also prevents potentially malicious ads from running. This difference also makes the browser faster than many of the other major browsers.
They are no longer maintaining the browser, but have turned it into an open source project.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:18 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,755,236 times
I would stay with the last version BEFORE IT BECAME OPEN SOURCE!!!!! (Stuff usually gets worse)

Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 PM

29,719 posts, read 16,104,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I would stay with the last version BEFORE IT BECAME OPEN SOURCE!!!!! (Stuff usually gets worse)
I agree... but I wanted to put the note out there. They don't offer the download on the old home page. I think the last version, pre open source, is on Softpedia.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:40 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
How do people use the internet w/o these features?
It's hard. It makes it so very hard. I sometimes have to wait 9 seconds to view the video I want. Or click a little "X" in a corner to make an ad go away.
It's horrific....
I'm thinking of quitting the internet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or