U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:51 PM

712 posts, read 716,362 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone may have some insight...

Right after Christmas, our Wifi connection became a tad sporadic and slow. This went on for several days; "fitful" streaming, slow sending of texts (from cell, and we use wifi at home on our cell phones), slow everything.

This past Friday, I rebooted the modem, did not help, then called CableOne to inquire. They found no issues with our connection, but upon accessing our account, found that as of the 16th, our upload data had dramatically increased...far surpassing our downloads. Very odd.

We don't upload much. Only uploads are from our two cell phones (Android), and only to upload pictures to Facebook. We download MUCH more than we upload; i.e. Pandora, Netflix and such.

I logged into our CableOne account and looked at our bandwidth history for the last month. Yep, prior to 12/16 uploads were running under 0.14 GB daily. On the 16th, uploads shot to 2.99! Then from the 17th to the yesterday (1/1, last day of recorded history), uploads consistently ran between 2.54 and 6.34!!

We have two smart TV's, 2 Android cells, 2 laptops, a tablet, a bluetooth speaker and a wireless printer.

Yesterday I turned off both TV's, the printer, the tablet and the speaker. Left the two cell phones and laptops connected. Tomorrow I'll log in to CableOne again and check the upload bandwidth again to see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll shut everything down for 24 hours and check it again.

When logging in to CableOne to check my bandwidth, I did note this message they've posted:

“Due to system maintenance, usage counting was suspended for December 17th through December 22nd. Your account will reflect zero usage for these days. Counting will resume as normal on December 23rd and reflect only that day’s usage."

Since our upload history shows an increase as of 12/16, am wondering if somehow this is related.

Anyone have any clues as to what may be happening? My limited knowledge either somehow we've been hacked, or something/some program is uploading. I do not use Dropbox, or anything else I am aware of that would auto-upload to the cloud.

Thanks in advance, sorry for being so wordy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM

122 posts, read 173,766 times
It could very well be a measurement issue, ISPs are infamously bad at measuring usage. However, you did mention things have been slow.

Anyone install a new cloud backup service? Carbonite, Backblaze, iCloud, etc? Sounds like not, but just checking. How about a torrent software? One of those P2P programs that share data with others. LimeWire? uTorrent? Spotify I read actually does this a bit too. Anyone in your household that might have?

I'd change my WiFi password if it was me, just in case you have someone sharing it. I like your idea of turning off various devices to do a little bit of investigation. If its not any known sharing software, its possible one of your systems has a malware installed. botnet, etc. Who knows, I hate to speculate, just mentioning it as a possibility.

Not a complete answer, just a couple of thoughts.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianX View Post
It could very well be a measurement issue, ISPs are infamously bad at measuring usage. However, you did mention things have been slow.

Anyone install a new cloud backup service? Carbonite, Backblaze, iCloud, etc? Sounds like not, but just checking. How about a torrent software? One of those P2P programs that share data with others. LimeWire? uTorrent? Spotify I read actually does this a bit too. Anyone in your household that might have?

I'd change my WiFi password if it was me, just in case you have someone sharing it. I like your idea of turning off various devices to do a little bit of investigation. If its not any known sharing software, its possible one of your systems has a malware installed. botnet, etc. Who knows, I hate to speculate, just mentioning it as a possibility.

Not a complete answer, just a couple of thoughts.
Thank you! We don't have any cloud backup, or P2P. Don't use Spotify, but did recently install iHeartRadio and iRadio on my Android, uninstalled them earlier today as they are the only apps I've installed within the last 2 weeks so thought it prudent to uninstall and see if that made a difference. Won't know until CableOne tallies the usage for today.

My daughter mentioned changing our wifi password too, will do that now.

Good thoughts, thanks again...if you think of anything else, please let me know?

Old 01-04-2016, 01:18 AM

232 posts, read 485,142 times
Can your ISP give you the times that your uploads increase dramatically? That could be a clue. If you've picked up some malware that uses your PC as a "zombie", it generally happens late at night when you're not online.

Changing the password is the easiest and quickest way to tell. Make sure it is a tough one that includes upper case, lower case, numbers and punctuation, and at least 16 characters. Write it down because if it's really tough to hack, it's even tougher to remember!! Besides, you'll use it so rarely that even a complex password isn't a big thing to use.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post
Can your ISP give you the times that your uploads increase dramatically? That could be a clue. If you've picked up some malware that uses your PC as a "zombie", it generally happens late at night when you're not online.

Changing the password is the easiest and quickest way to tell. Make sure it is a tough one that includes upper case, lower case, numbers and punctuation, and at least 16 characters. Write it down because if it's really tough to hack, it's even tougher to remember!! Besides, you'll use it so rarely that even a complex password isn't a big thing to use.
They may be able to, not sure. The on-line history only shows by day, not specific times. I think it was happening all day though as we noted our slow down mostly during the daytime hours.

This AM I had the wifi password changed, and bingo! bongo! everything is super speedy now! Am guessing, somehow, we had freeloader.

Am going through the process of connecting one device at a time, trying to determine which one (if any) may have caused the problem via malware or whatever.

Thanks everyone for the tips, very helpful and MUCH appreciated!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:19 PM

742 posts, read 866,052 times
You should also log into your modem/router and monitor from there anyway. Usually it's just 192.68.0.1 and then whatever password is on your modem. Logging into your modem will let you access your admin settings and features and you can tell what devices are logged in, how much data they are using, whether you're being access from outside your network, etc.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 AM

122 posts, read 173,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
You should also log into your modem/router and monitor from there anyway. Usually it's just 192.68.0.1 and then whatever password is on your modem. Logging into your modem will let you access your admin settings and features and you can tell what devices are logged in, how much data they are using, whether you're being access from outside your network, etc.
Good idea, although the typical IP is 192.168.0.1.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 PM

Thanks, will give that a shot also! Am curious as to what, why, when and how...someone was accessing our net. It would be fun to try and find out from where, and who, if possible.

I did note that when accessing the news section of my Google account (on my cell) that the customization I had set up (to show local news in Nampa as part of the news section) had changed to STL, now, after changing the wifi password, it's back to Nampa. Not sure that is connected, or means anything, just something I noted.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:12 PM

742 posts, read 866,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianX View Post
Good idea, although the typical IP is 192.168.0.1.
Oops! I forgot the 1...

Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 AM

704 posts, read 674,030 times
Another potential bandwidth hog is photo back up software or other sync software that syncs your devices together or to the cloud.

I have several terabytes of photos and videos for my work on my PC and Google wants to automatically back them up for me which would greatly slow down my computer and my internet speeds.

Hope this helps!
Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or