U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 09:00 PM

4,752 posts, read 5,599,255 times

Advertisements

Anyone else finds it extremely annoying? Many online seller websites are increasingly using the hover feature. When you casually put the mouse anywhere, it will immediately cause either a small screen tip (acceptable) or a HUGE hover screen (unaccpetable) that blocks what you were looking at, and remains there for unbearably long time. Amazon is one among such. I know ranting can't help getting rid of them, but it helps with feeling if someone shares my pain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,755,236 times
Thumbs down *

I hear what your saying...... Its getting more and more intrusive on the internet!!

ITS ALL A BIG SCAM FOR $$$$$$$$$ ..... More spam ads everywhere,etc........

Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 PM

39,977 posts, read 57,815,785 times
Aren't you using an Hover extension?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Amazon does not do this. You may have some Malware on your PC.
I don't see this a lot but when I do I simply stop visiting those sites.
But if you are getting this on Amazon...it's you.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:36 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,772,939 times
snowmountains ... I so agree and share your pain. Netflix uses it and I get so annoyed. Hover may be helpful to someone using a finger on a touch screen, but when using a mouse that gets dragged across a screen to get to its new destination, it causes large blobs all along the way. Yes, a royal pain.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:06 AM

3,489 posts, read 6,757,061 times
Oh yes I see this a LOT! It is very common now with newer sites. Often times a card or dialog appears over what I was trying to read, and due to browser inconsistencies it remains on the page even if I move the mouse. Ticks... me... off. Facebook is bad about this. I accidentally 'friended' a stranger because I was trying to click on a link but inadvertently caused some stupid dialog to pop up when I was moving the mouse over a person.

Often I look for the mobile site address just to avoid this madness and use that on my pc. Mobile sites don't have all the frilly nonsense that takes up screen real estate. Or at least they have a lot less.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:22 AM

4,752 posts, read 5,599,255 times
I was not even referring to the ads but the seller's own contents. e.g. at Amazon, when you are on a page for a particular product, near the top is some category menu. If your mouse is inadvendently put there, then the whole screen is immediatlely dimmed, while a brigher hover screen is pulled out. This happens over and over again within short a short time. Sooooo annoying.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:03 PM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Ohhh, you mean the "Shop by Department" link?!?
Seriously?
I so very rarely accidentally make that pop up. So rarely I didn't even know what you're talking about.
It's A LOT better then having to go click a link that takes you to ANOTHER page.
How does this bother you? Man.... get over it.
First world problems.
I thought you were refering to how some pages have highlighted links throughout that page, and if you hover over that, ads pop up. I despise those. So obnoxious.
But by design to improve the navigation of a page? This is not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet