U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:58 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,401,862 times

Advertisements

Use this when you sign up for anything and you just have to "confirm" who you are:

https://www.guerrillamail.com/

Don't use your personal email for anything other than personal things.

I have a personal email.

I have a business email.

I use the above if I have to "register" for something, like news sites for example.

I use a "shopping email" for things like Amazon, or other online retailers.

Etc.

No spam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 08:11 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,217,730 times
I have half a dozen e-mail addresses, each for different purposes. That doesn't answer the OP's question though -

So here's what is -probably- going on:

When you were hacked, your address book was copied by the hacker and is now used to send out spam. You and several million other people. The solution to this:

Go to your e-mail address book. Write - on a piece of paper, with a pen, the old fashioned way, everyone's name and e-mail address.

Then:

DELETE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS BOOK.

Don't ever create a new one. When you send an e-mail to someone, type out their e-mail address and if your e-mail program offers to save it to your address book, don't accept the offer.

In addition - when someone sends you an e-mail and it's cc'ed to a few different people, do NOT "reply to all." Ever. Don't ever do that. Reply to all = bad. If you really want to reply to the entire list, hit the reply button, and then type in each other person's e-mail address in the "CC" section of the e-mail.

It's old and clunky but it will minimize (though not prevent) you sending spam out and others sending spam to you.

Eventually, the spam you have now will slow down. But as long as you have your address book on your e-mail client, your e-mail client will continue to send and receive spam. The only way to reduce it until it slows to a crawl is to delete the address book and never create a new one.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:30 AM

5,818 posts, read 9,206,629 times
I use Gmail for my e-mail and then have it sent to my Microsoft outlook e-mail program. G-mail is REALLY GOOD at blocking most spam on its own. I do NOT have any addresses stored in my G-mail account so SPAM can't forward things to friends/contacts. All my outgoing mail is sent from my outlook program. I have yet to get any spam mail sent to my outlook program in the three years I have been doing it this way.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,120,297 times

I've never heard of that email. What exactly is it~?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I have half a dozen e-mail addresses, each for different purposes. That doesn't answer the OP's question though -

So here's what is -probably- going on:

When you were hacked, your address book was copied by the hacker and is now used to send out spam. You and several million other people. The solution to this:

Go to your e-mail address book. Write - on a piece of paper, with a pen, the old fashioned way, everyone's name and e-mail address.

Then:

DELETE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS BOOK.

Don't ever create a new one. When you send an e-mail to someone, type out their e-mail address and if your e-mail program offers to save it to your address book, don't accept the offer.

In addition - when someone sends you an e-mail and it's cc'ed to a few different people, do NOT "reply to all." Ever. Don't ever do that. Reply to all = bad. If you really want to reply to the entire list, hit the reply button, and then type in each other person's e-mail address in the "CC" section of the e-mail.

It's old and clunky but it will minimize (though not prevent) you sending spam out and others sending spam to you.

Eventually, the spam you have now will slow down. But as long as you have your address book on your e-mail client, your e-mail client will continue to send and receive spam. The only way to reduce it until it slows to a crawl is to delete the address book and never create a new one.

I think I know how it got hacked. I was out of town and had to print stuff on the hotel computer. I accused the girl next to me on the computer that she saw my password and some guy was behind her. After that, it all started. And I can't delete my addresses. I have too many important emails to delete.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:18 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,120,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Free Spam Blocker Software from SPAMfighter - SPAMfighter

There are others like this. What do you use for your Email? Outlook? Web? Something else?
I use something else.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 7,561,593 times
Well.. Some of you might be happy.. Seeing as I just cleared a compromised server that was just spewing out spam..

By the time I got into it, it was processing spam messages 16 days old to be sent out.. Cleared the exim queue, which had 3.7 MILLION emails queued up waiting to go out.

While doing all that, went through the logs and found they were all coming from a PHP mail test script that had been left on the server.

Guy hasn't replied back to tell me why that file was there.. My guess.. He didn't put it there.. It had been there for a year according to the timestamp on the file.. I think whoever set his site up for him, used that test script and left it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet