U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM

12,434 posts, read 10,904,621 times

Advertisements

Somehow someone managed to hack my BestBuy account which was unfortunately tied to my BestBuy credit card. They didn't get access to my credit card number but it was saved so they placed a $2000 order.

Luckily I got an email order confirmation. And luckily they didn't change my password. I was able to log into my account, cancel the order and change my PW. They had the ordering shipping to an address about 20 miles from me to my name and their address. They also had entered their email in the order as a place to send some downloadable program they got with the purchase.

So I contacted best buy and they took all my info and said they will look into it. The police said I could file a report and it is a crime, however warned me most likely nothing would be done because of the overwhelming number of these crimes being reported.

I don't even know for sure if the person at the address they were having it shipped to committed the crime or if it was someone else going to wait for the package to be delivered there and intercept it.

I'm wondering how in the world my account got hacked? I almost thing it had to be an inside job or a hack of bestbuys info. My username is my email which is very unique and my password was randomly generated and looked something like A63r39$e1oF32#

I thought about sending an email to the email address they used but then I realized that wouldn't be too smart since they have my address too and I don't want to do anything to want them to take action against me. I already changed all my other passwords even though none of them shared this password.

Anyone ever had this happen? How would you proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM

39,906 posts, read 57,741,604 times
I am not sure what happened, but it's hard to believe that a hacker would leave all that traceable info with the order.
I probably would try to contact those people to find out if they really ordered something, then go from there. They could be completely unaware of that situation, and eager to help you solve it. If this is just 20 miles away, maybe you should drive by and see their place, and who they are.
Police or the store will not do much, so if you are really interested - do your own search...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,419,350 times
Honestly, what you did is about all you can really do in this situation. You're not getting charged for the order. I wouldn't really waste time worrying how you got hacked, although if what you said about your password was true, it's very unusual (although not impossible) to have such a strong password hacked.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:00 AM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Honestly, what you did is about all you can really do in this situation. You're not getting charged for the order. I wouldn't really waste time worrying how you got hacked, although if what you said about your password was true, it's very unusual (although not impossible) to have such a strong password hacked.
https://howsecureismypassword.net/

A63r39$e1oF32#

It would take a desktop PC about 2 billion years to crack your password
  • Length: 14 characters
  • Character Combinations: 77
  • Calculations Per Second: 4 billion
  • Possible Combinations: 257 septillion

Old 02-05-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

A63r39$e1oF32#

Unless someone was able to hack Best Buy's database? I dunno. I just find it difficult to imagine that such a strong password could be hacked easily.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

A63r39$e1oF32#

My old password was actually more characters than that and that website says it would take 106 trillion years to hack. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Unless someone was able to hack Best Buy's database? I dunno. I just find it difficult to imagine that such a strong password could be hacked easily.
This almost has to be an inside job or BestBuy got hacked I'd say?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This almost has to be an inside job or BestBuy got hacked I'd say?
I tend to agree with this. Someone who has access to Best Buy's customer database was probably able to find your info and log in with your account. Very likely, someone employed with Best Buy.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:26 AM

16,719 posts, read 15,129,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Anyone ever had this happen? How would you proceed?

Do you have kids old enough to have friends who would steal from you?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Do you have kids old enough to have friends who would steal from you?
Nope, unless they are geniuses. My only child is 2.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
I did some checking using that site.

I'm changing some passwords...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or