U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 09:11 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times

Advertisements

Yea, Justin Timberlake is part owner and they are aiming to be a legit music site / social site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 06:37 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,054,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I loved Geocities. In fact, I miss the idea of people creating their own websites. Facebook did kill this, and it's unfortunate. It's so much easier to just open a FB account, since it provides messaging (instant or not), a way for you to share pictures, posts, and links. And, the fact that you can communicate with others in your friend's list. At the same time, what it doesn't allow is for people to completely customize their pages, kind of like what MySpace did right before it bit the dust. To me, that would be the only reason to want to create your own website - well that and if you're a business. If Facebook could add that functionality, then I think that would be wonderful!
Yahoo still operates some of the foreign language Geocities sites, and there are some other knockoff Geocities sites that do a pretty good job of recreating the Geocities experience. They even provide archives of original Geocities pages. Unfortunately the archives are not very extensive.

Of course that doesn’t really matter, since Facebook is all that most people care about these days.

.:: GEOCITIES.ws ::.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:40 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yahoo still operates some of the foreign language Geocities sites, and there are some other knockoff Geocities sites that do a pretty good job of recreating the Geocities experience. They even provide archives of original Geocities pages. Unfortunately the archives are not very extensive.

Of course that doesn’t really matter, since Facebook is all that most people care about these days.

.:: GEOCITIES.ws ::.
Facebook is great with social connectivity. That's why people like it so much. I mean, you do have blog sites that you can create, but it's still not the same. I miss the old days.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:28 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,054,284 times
Quote:
Facebook is great with social connectivity. That's why people like it so much. I mean, you do have blog sites that you can create, but it's still not the same. I miss the old days.
I have never used Facebook much, or really understood the appeal of it. For one thing, when I started using the internet, the first rule I learned, was to never give out your personal information. Which I still don’t do to this day, so Facebook is pretty much out for me. I still get a laugh, every time I read about some idiot doing something illegal, then posting about it on Facebook, and getting arrested for it. What the hell do they think is going to happen?

The biggest issue I see with Facebook is that it is just taking over everything. It’s becoming the internet, and just killing everything else. I have seen businesses, that have a Facebook page, instead of a company website. Why? Facebook is just terrible for that type of thing.

Now Facebook seems to be taking on YouTube. I see people posting videos on Facebook, instead of YouTube. I don’t get that either. Facebook video quality seems way below YouTube.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I have never used Facebook much, or really understood the appeal of it. For one thing, when I started using the internet, the first rule I learned, was to never give out your personal information. Which I still don’t do to this day, so Facebook is pretty much out for me. I still get a laugh, every time I read about some idiot doing something illegal, then posting about it on Facebook, and getting arrested for it. What the hell do they think is going to happen?
That's why I don't post a lot on Facebook, and if I do, it's stuff that non-offensive. No political stuff, no belly-aching about work, nothing that people would get their nose bent out of joint on. The worst thing I might post is something about a Redskins game. I figured the worst backlash I'd get from that is from those against the name itself. Other than that, my activity on Facebook is mostly in lurk mode. Kind of like reading a newspaper. I "like" many sports and news pages and often wind up getting the stories from FB first before seeing them anywhere else. In terms of privacy, my FB isn't wide open and I don't really provide any more info that someone couldn't actually get off of a simple Google search.

Quote:
The biggest issue I see with Facebook is that it is just taking over everything. It’s becoming the internet, and just killing everything else. I have seen businesses, that have a Facebook page, instead of a company website. Why? Facebook is just terrible for that type of thing.

I agree! Even with my own internet habits, I pull up the Facebook app first, then I'll go to this site during the week, and maybe I'll check out videos on You Tube or see if there's anything I need to order off of Amazon, but I don't really go "web surfing" anymore. When I first got on the internet, I could spend hours searching the Yahoo directory.

Quote:
Now Facebook seems to be taking on YouTube. I see people posting videos on Facebook, instead of YouTube. I don’t get that either. Facebook video quality seems way below YouTube.
I don't think Facebook will ever over take You Tube, at least not any time soon. Maybe down the road, possibly, but in terms of sharing videos I post, its much easier for me to post them on You Tube, because I can share them most anywhere, Facebook, or send links to people who don't use Facebook. There's still plenty of people, like you, out there who do not use Facebook. I've tried to ween myself off of it, but it is habit forming.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,187,173 times
geocities/angelfire/fortunecity/tripod. with their mile long URLs and their million and one pop up ads. and I still have my tripod and angelfire accounts.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
geocities/angelfire/fortunecity/tripod. with their mile long URLs and their million and one pop up ads. and I still have my tripod and angelfire accounts.
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the pop-up ads. In the very beginning, we didn't have to worry about that. But, companies were trying to make some money off of their web hosting, and ad revenue was the only way to do so.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:41 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,187,173 times
Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the pop-up ads. In the very beginning, we didn't have to worry about that. But, companies were trying to make some money off of their web hosting, and ad revenue was the only way to do so.
yes its a death spiral, the more ads there are the more people download popup blockers, the more pop up blockers people install the more the pop ups the website have to run, until the whole think kills its self off.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:31 PM

93 posts, read 55,667 times
Quote:

Same here. I think people post way too much personal info all over the web.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDaisy View Post
Same here. I think people post way too much personal info all over the web.
We honestly do. I say "we", because I include myself. Even though I won't post certain things that others wont' blink and eye about posting, I still feel like you could do a quick internet search and find just about anything about me you want to find.

I guess since I'm such a boring, broke person, that it doesn't matter as much what I post about myself, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet