U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 PM

10,160 posts, read 10,480,087 times

Advertisements

I was reading that the 2.4 Ghz band is getting crowded.

My Router Model Name: Linksys E1200 Network Standards: IEEE 802.11n Radio Frequency Bands: 2.4GHz Ports: 1x 10/100 WAN, 4x 10/100 LAN

I also have 5 different standards of cordless phones. I have four old cordless phones a 10 channel, a 25 channel, a 900 Mhz, and a 2.4 Ghz cell phone, and 10 different DECT 6.0 handsets which operates at 1.9 GHz.

Is any of these cordless phones (in particular the 2.4 Ghz phone) interfering with the wireless router? Should I dispose of this one or all four old ones?

My wireless connection often doesn't work one room away from the router. Sometimes I get 90 mbps,sometimes I get 1. I am wondering if getting rid of the phone will help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,677,644 times
2.4 GHz is definitely crowded (since there are really only 3 channels). If you have gear that can use 5 GHz, then you'll probably find switching to a 5 GHz wireless router to be better all around.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:33 PM

9,952 posts, read 7,561,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
2.4 GHz is definitely crowded (since there are really only 3 channels). If you have gear that can use 5 GHz, then you'll probably find switching to a 5 GHz wireless router to be better all around.
Not so sure.

2.4 GHz is crowded, but 5 doesn't fly as far.

The 1200 router actually frequency hops, at least, I think that's the one that is supposed to do it.. Changing to the least congested channel it can find. So, in theory.. It should always be on the best frequency. Which may or may not be 1, 6 or 11.

At times, I've found its far better to lock routers like that to one frequency, rather than letting them adjust on the fly.

I ran into a problem the other day at a location complaining about their wireless network.. Once I connected in, I saw 7 other wireless networks.. Used the Acrylic Wifi analyzer, saw that they were all on Channel 1 or 11.. So, pop.. There he went on channel 6.

Then.. Found that netgear had 4 firmware updates for that router.. The last one of which had, under fixes.. "Improved WiFi Stability"

Got that update applied.. Everything was working far, far better. In ping tests running overnight.. I think there were 50 lost packets out of 13,000 sent or so.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:40 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
I've definitely had the issue where my iPad is on the 5ghz band and I'm constantly having to reconnect it to the wireless on the router. That said, when it works, it works well, but it's a pain having to reconnect almost daily. One thing I don't think I can do (I haven't looked to see) is seeing if I can set each device on its own channel. That would help to eliminate some interference as well. You can definitely do that with DD-WRT, but I'm using Netgear's standard software for now.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 7,561,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I've definitely had the issue where my iPad is on the 5ghz band and I'm constantly having to reconnect it to the wireless on the router. That said, when it works, it works well, but it's a pain having to reconnect almost daily. One thing I don't think I can do (I haven't looked to see) is seeing if I can set each device on its own channel. That would help to eliminate some interference as well. You can definitely do that with DD-WRT, but I'm using Netgear's standard software for now.
DD-WRT is pretty cool.. I've used it before, but haven't even scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I wound up needing Wi-Fi at a barn on my property.. Used DD-WRT on a router to basically make it a bridge..

Old 02-10-2016, 01:20 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
DD-WRT is pretty cool.. I've used it before, but haven't even scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I wound up needing Wi-Fi at a barn on my property.. Used DD-WRT on a router to basically make it a bridge..
I love DD-WRT. However, I spent almost $200 on my new router, and since money doesn't come easy in my household, I was a little nervous to change anything. The signal is so much stronger in my house now that I don't really need a separate access point anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or