Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 06:32 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,728,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina
Forbes do it all the times. Oh, well... I don't NEED to read their articles...
But how do they know Elnina?? Does it go by each members account honey??

Im quite confused!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 01:19 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,428,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Im quite confused!!
Forbes can detect an ad blocker and they configured their site to not load if you are using an ad blocker. I just tested it out. No more Forbes for me. Oh darn!

Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM

4,068 posts, read 2,962,552 times
I have a Toggle JavaScript button on my Pale Moon browser, which I use to turn off JavaScript when visiting web sites with boorish behavior. Neither Forbes nor Wall Street Journal will load without JavaScript, so I do not read them. No great loss.

I used to read a Kansas newspaper that would take me to a "You must enable JavaScript page. I used BlockSite to prevent the redirection, until they changed to a subscription only format. I no longer go there. No great loss.

I do not use an ad blocker, and have no objection to ads that behave themselves. That means no popups, animation, sound, or blocking other content.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:02 PM

30,167 posts, read 23,565,287 times
uBlock
Much better than adblock.

I can still read Forbes with it, too.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,987,924 times
Quote:

Im quite confused!!
A connection comes from an IP address on the Internet. An ad blocker will allow the desired content to load and prevent the ad portion from loading. A site using an ad blocker-blocker would put its ad traffic into the "pipeline" first, before its content, detect whether the ads are accepted by the browser and refuse to send the desired content to any connection that rejects the ads.

So a blocker-blocker-blocker client just has to fool the blocker-blocker server into thinking that it accepted the ads, to get the content to load.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,728,405 times
But how do they know IF YOUR VIEWING THIER SPAM?? (How do they know which members are seeing the ads)

Old 02-15-2016, 06:51 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,771,672 times
Quote:
How can sites tell if your not viewing thier spam??
Conceptually: the advertiser will drop someone onto your computer, then they check if that item is on your computer or if it got blocked or erased. If it is not there, then they assumed it got blocked.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:56 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,901,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
the advertiser will drop someone onto your computer

Not a job I'd want to have...

Old 02-15-2016, 08:25 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,843,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
So a blocker-blocker-blocker client just has to fool the blocker-blocker server into thinking that it accepted the ads, to get the content to load.
There is more than one way to skin a cat. What you could do for example is use CSS to float a DIV that fills the entire viewport. The adblocker blocker script would check to see if you have an adblocker and if it detects none it drops the floating DIV to the background. This all requires JS so blocking the JS file or disabling JS leaves you with the floating DIV over the content. The only recourse here would be go into your browsers settings and disable the styling.

The question for those serving ads is not if they can force ads onto their users but how far they want to take it.

At the end of the day this is not a war adblocker can win, if Google were to deploy a localized version of their ad service it's toast. The adblocker relies on commonality and you can blow that out of the water with localized ads by making it impossible to determine what is an ad and what is content.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 7 days ago)

43,085 posts, read 76,661,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is more than one way to skin a cat. What you could do for example is use CSS to float a DIV that fills the entire viewport. The adblocker blocker script would check to see if you have an adblocker and if it detects none it drops the floating DIV to the background. This all requires JS so blocking the JS file or disabling JS leaves you with the floating DIV over the content. The only recourse here would be go into your browsers settings and disable the styling.

The question for those serving ads is not if they can force ads onto their users but how far they want to take it.

At the end of the day this is not a war adblocker can win, if Google were to deploy a localized version of their ad service it's toast. The adblocker relies on commonality and you can blow that out of the water with localized ads by making it impossible to determine what is an ad and what is content.
Many are willing to take it so far, their sites become unusable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet