U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:36 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Forbes can detect an ad blocker and they configured their site to not load if you are using an ad blocker. I just tested it out. No more Forbes for me. Oh darn!
Works fine for me using ABP or uBlock, not that I visit that site much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Many are willing to take it so far, their sites become unusable.
I understand the frustration with sites that have six gazzillion ads on them, pop ups and whatever. You have chosen to visit that site though. Sites depend on that revenue to operate and without they do not exist, users are not interested in subscription based sites so ads it is. The use of adblocker has exploded over the last couple of years, it's coming to a head.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:42 AM

34,277 posts, read 59,597,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I understand the frustration with sites that have six gazzillion ads on them, pop ups and whatever. You have chosen to visit that site though. Sites depend on that revenue to operate and without they do not exist, users are not interested in subscription based sites so ads it is. The use of adblocker has exploded over the last couple of years, it's coming to a head.
Truly, I recognize the need for revenue to support a site, including making it profitable, or it cannot be offered. And, I know use of a site is my choice.
Often, I choose to visit a site once and back out when they cannot deliver. And, if I visit again, and recall their mess, I will back out before they have a chance to deliver.
That is just me, and I imagine that the site owners really don't care about my use, as I am just one person.

FWIW, I used adblocker, but for whatever reason did not enjoy it much, and didn't find it terribly helpful.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,677,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have less of a problem with ads per say, than I do with the inability of content creators and ad networks in insuring that the ads they serve are clean.

Ad networks are currently a massive target, and quickly becoming the predominant way to deliver malware (if they aren't already). For me, ad blockers are not so much about hiding ads as they are about protecting my network and hardware.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:12 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I have less of a problem with ads per say, than I do with the inability of content creators and ad networks in insuring that the ads they serve are clean.

Ad networks are currently a massive target, and quickly becoming the predominant way to deliver malware (if they aren't already). For me, ad blockers are not so much about hiding ads as they are about protecting my network and hardware.
This is the main issue as I have said over and over, it's not the ads I'm blocking, it's the huge security risk. When the ad networks get a handle on their security than I will allow ads again, and not before.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:55 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,446,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

Not a job I'd want to have...
ops i meant drop something, such as a cookie.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:05 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
You knew someone would...

Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
That's a very legitimate complaint and as a publisher I have my own complaints. I try and review what ads are appearing to maximize my revenue but it becomes overwhelming. The largest issue on my end is the scammy/malware type ads, e.g. "Download now". They will create multiple ads so they don't appear high in the list. I know eliminating them has vastly improved my revenue but it's a running battle, I presume they have high bids so they appear frequently knowing that not many people are going to click on them. This pushes out ads that people are more likely to click on.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:52 AM

12,428 posts, read 10,889,263 times
I just don't understand how ads in today's world can still exist that are so horrible. The autoplay video ones, the ones that take over your screen and hide the X, the ones that move around so you can't click the X etc...Are these ads actually profitable? Meaning are people buying these products because of these ads? I for one keep a list of all the annoying screen overtaking ads that you can't close easily and go out of my way to never purchase the products again, if I ever did in the first place.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM

1,294 posts, read 630,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
But how do they know IF YOUR VIEWING THIER SPAM?? (How do they know which members are seeing the ads)
Interesting question that seems to be getting glazed over.
I would guess this would be a per-implementation basis.

I can imagine two ways it could be done, but I'm sure some of the other users here could think of others.

1. Simple JavaScript Only Implementation

<EDIT>
This seems to be the most popular way to detect ads.
It appears ad blockers will often block resource loading or add a tag to prevent ad images from displaying.
So a script would check if those modifications are made and whabam! Gotcha!
</EDIT>

A JavaScript method is run once the page is loaded or periodically to determine whether ads loaded correctly. This could be checking for things like "Does the Ad div exist?", "Is the ad div the expected size?", "Does the ad div contain an object of class 'x'?" and so forth.
If the test finds that the ad div is not run correctly, a call to the server with the user token could determine that the user is using ad blocker. Or likewise, a call to the server with the user token could let the server know that you are viewing their spam.

The fallback of this is that this is run clientside. Creating an "Ad blocker blocker blocker" would be trivial.

2. Ajax and JavaScript

In this implementation, the desired JavaScript check could be packaged in an Ajax request with another request making it significantly harder to prevent the Ad blocker blocker from running without causing functionality to fail.

The fallback again is that at the end of the day, you still have to rely on feedback obtained from a client's computer.

EDIT:

A few interesting links.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/jquery-detect-ads-block/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...-on-my-website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet