U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM

241 posts, read 168,301 times

Advertisements

What is it like having a Youtube channel? How do you make money having one? What are the pitfalls a "Youtuber" has to look out for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:02 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,006,070 times
I don't have a Youtube channel but I expect it's sort of like having a channel on a local public television channel.

Some folks are daring like to be known and some folks are cowards and prefer anonymity. Count me in the last group.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:58 PM

25,945 posts, read 42,460,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timemachineman View Post
What is it like having a Youtube channel?
For me, it is great, I use it to post videos I have created, mostly family, vacation and local events...
Signing up is free...

Quote:
How do you make money having one?
I don't know. I have not signed up for that portion.

Quote:
What are the pitfalls a "Youtuber" has to look out for?
For me, there have not been any pitfalls. The account I started in 2006 has been free, reliable and issue free.

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ponchodebcan/featured

What were your plans to use YouTube for?

Old 02-16-2016, 03:52 PM

49 posts, read 29,138 times
Anyone can have a YouTube channel but if you want to be successful you need to be young (under 24 preferably), you need to be a pretty girl, and you need a FABULOUS white smile! A few folks can break away from the mold a little as I've seen older and average looking vloggers. Most of the successful boy bloggers are either psuedo bro/hipster or they don't really show their face much. If you were born before 1986 or 1985, you may want to reconsider YouTube vlogging because most of the successful vloggers relate to Millennials or Gen Z.

Fortunately, YouTube Vlogs are an overhyped trend, and will soon go the way of the now defunct blog.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:21 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,203,851 times
I get lumped in with Millennials (although I consider myself Gen X) and I really don't understand a lot of the YouTube personalities.

About 7 years ago, my friends and I were going to put up a comedy series (actually funny) scripted content out on YouTube but didn't. It took a lot of effort even though it didn't go anywhere.

Its one of those things that if you have to ask, you're already behind the curve.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:12 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
I have a You Tube channel, but hardly use it. I've got two videos on there. One pertains to a youth program that my old place of employment has, and the other one is about my son's first every haircut. I have thought about creating a weekly/semi-monthly program either about computer related stuff, or about my favorite sports team (give you a hint, look at my username,) but I haven't had the time or the energy (small kids really wears you out!)

Now, I am NOT a millennial, but I would have to disagree that you have to be in your twenties to be successful. You just have to have a great idea that catches on, and be willing to put forth the time and effort. Sure, to be a video blogger, you can't look hideous, but unless you're whole purpose of your vblog is to show off your muscles or your melons, you can be average/decent looking if your channel is not about you, but about a topic you love. I.E., maybe you love reviewing cars. If your reviews are interesting and I get to see every detail of the car, I don't care what you look like, I'm looking at the car.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
How do you make money having one?
Ads. You start a channel. Sign up for Adsense. You start getting paid. It's really that simple.
The hard part...getting views. You won't make anything worth the effort until you get into 100's of 1,000's of
views.

Freddie Wong makes a good living:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpasSV_mw2o

And form the "Why didn't I think of that" room:
The most insane YT story you've probably never heard is about Disney Collector.
Making millions with videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaCK-BfqYdQ
28 million views on that one...

The highest YouTube earner of 2014 made nearly $5 million just by opening Disney toy packages | Fusion

Old 02-17-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I have thought about creating a weekly/semi-monthly program either about computer related stuff, or about my favorite sports team (give you a hint, look at my username,) but I haven't had the time or the energy (small kids really wears you out!)
The advantages of having grand-kids and great-grand-kids is you turn them back in to the parents when your done

Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Interesting... I could not watch the entire video.. Her voice got to me, but hey, I guess that's a 29 million dollar voice?

Old 02-17-2016, 02:04 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The advantages of having grand-kids and great-grand-kids is you turn them back in to the parents when your done
Yeah, I have a loooooooooooooooooong ways to go on that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or