U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 PM

672 posts, read 1,781,525 times

Advertisements

I logged on to my Yahoo mail and read some of the news items. There was one titled Heart-Breaking Story Of Homeless Man And His Dog. I clicked on it and got "Your Flash Player may be out of date..." I tried it on another computer and got the same thing. When I clicked on that it went to the Adobe install page and I could not close it by doing the usual click on the X in the corner thing. I had to close the tab itself. What's up with that?

I searched the headline by itself and got the newspaper article with no "commercial" for Flash Player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:01 PM

39,977 posts, read 57,815,785 times
Maybe you need to clean your history and cookies? then restart your computer?
Try it and report back if that don't help...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:53 AM

10,756 posts, read 18,017,874 times
The site the link went to is compromised and serving a fake flash player alert to get you to click the link and infect your computer. If you actually clicked the upgrade link I would highly advise you to run a malware scan on your computer.

The only time you'll see the valid flash player update notice is when you first start your computer.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:41 AM

1,294 posts, read 630,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The site the link went to is compromised and serving a fake flash player alert to get you to click the link and infect your computer. If you actually clicked the upgrade link I would highly advise you to run a malware scan on your computer.

The only time you'll see the valid flash player update notice is when you first start your computer.
What Dave said.

Don't ever download Flash Player because a website tells you to. If you want to update flash player, go here:
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

This is the ONLY place you should download flash from.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,755,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave
The site the link went to is compromised and serving a fake flash player alert to get you to click the link and infect your computer.
Indeed....Most likely!!

Im glad you didnt go thru with this install!!!!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:42 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,551,660 times
Dave and Skye are correct. If a site has a flash video, it will play. If there is an update version, you will be notified with a pop up box when you boot up computer. You get update from adobe or you can check for latest version at adobe.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or