U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2016, 03:26 PM
 
2,494 posts, read 4,767,459 times
Reputation: 943

Advertisements

When you search for something that has a list of results, each result has only the street - not the number part of the address. For example, a listing for Starbucks says "S. Lake Ave." but it should say "82 S. Lake Ave."

If you're in Google Searches, this doesn't happen. But if you're in maps.google.com, it does happen.

(This posting has to do with desktop Windows, not mobile.)

https://www.google.com/maps/search/s...8233,15z?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2016, 04:55 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,414 posts, read 8,775,035 times
Reputation: 7518
Perhaps you noticed that if you click on one of the icons on the map, it brings up not only the full address of that location, but other useful info also.

FWIW, it is a Map, not a phone book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 05:58 PM
 
Location: I am right here.
4,929 posts, read 4,212,052 times
Reputation: 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Perhaps you noticed that if you click on one of the icons on the map, it brings up not only the full address of that location, but other useful info also.

FWIW, it is a Map, not a phone book.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 07:59 PM
 
2,494 posts, read 4,767,459 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Perhaps you noticed that if you click on one of the icons on the map, it brings up not only the full address of that location, but other useful info also.

FWIW, it is a Map, not a phone book.
I knew that but they might as well show the number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,054,284 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When you search for something that has a list of results, each result has only the street - not the number part of the address. For example, a listing for Starbucks says "S. Lake Ave." but it should say "82 S. Lake Ave."

If you're in Google Searches, this doesn't happen. But if you're in maps.google.com, it does happen.

(This posting has to do with desktop Windows, not mobile.)

https://www.google.com/maps/search/s...8233,15z?hl=en
Solution:

Bing Maps

I only use Google Maps now as a last resort. They just keep going downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Reputation: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I knew that but they might as well show the number.
Why? Makes sense to me. If I am looking at 50 Starbucks on a map, I don't need an address until I choose (click) which one I am going to go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 02:12 PM
 
2,494 posts, read 4,767,459 times
Reputation: 943
I just told you why. And if you need the full address it would be on the list and you wouldn't have to open it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 06:16 PM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,370 posts, read 11,274,021 times
Reputation: 4202
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
FWIW, it is a Map, not a phone book.
If you take this reasoning as *basic definition*, than why should a phone book have an address ?
My opinion is that a phone book should have just the name and phone number, NO address required !!

A map should have the name a FULL address, no phone number !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Reputation: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just told you why. And if you need the full address it would be on the list and you wouldn't have to open it.
You did?
"Because it might as well show the number?"

It's one click. It'able to display many more locations without cluttering that screen with #'s.

Did you upgrade your phone yet? It's pretty nice to use maps, find what you're looking for and then just clicking CALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 12:40 PM
 
2,494 posts, read 4,767,459 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You did?
"Because it might as well show the number?"

It's one click. It'able to display many more locations without cluttering that screen with #'s.
If it displayed the number in the list, you wouldn't have to click at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top