U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 06:52 PM

12,479 posts, read 15,530,382 times

Advertisements

Wait for LiFi
yahoo.com/tech/internet-light-promises-leave-wi-fi-eating-dust-135433368.html
Faster and with more bandwidth. Wait till it takes over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 07:14 PM

4,581 posts, read 8,190,996 times
Given the inherent flaws with light (e.g. line of sight, interference from other light sources, etc.), it's not exactly a direct replacement. Not to mention this isn't exactly ready for prime time.. yet.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:52 AM

31,135 posts, read 50,288,259 times
So if I drove into the city and parked at a McDonalds or Walmart where I could currently get a Wifi signal. If they shifted to Lifi, it would be more bandwidth, but I would need to maintain Line-of-sight to the transmitter.

That sounds pretty restrictive.

Wifi in my house comes from my router, but I do not have to see it. If I step outside obviously I lose signal. If I mounted a Wifi antenna on my roof, then I could still get signal on most of my property. Going to Lifi, on my roof, I would need to step far enough away from my house to gain Line-of-sight to my roof, before I could get signal.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 7,561,593 times
I remember seeing a presentation on something similar 10 or more years ago.. Think it was Siemens.. They had developed a LiFi bridge for connecting two offices that had line of sight, but it was unfeasible to dig up the parking lot or get right-of-way for installing overhead fiber optic.

Good speeds, but a limited market due to the line of sight issues.

That being said.. I think the specs on it were something like 10 miles at 100M or similar.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:18 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,480,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That sounds pretty restrictive.
With LiFi you would have dozens of sources. Probably all your lightbulbs would be replaced with a LiFi device. You wouldn't have one or two Wireless Access Points like you do now.

I live in an old house with lots of brick and steel. I have to live with the fact that I won't get cellular signal or WiFi everywhere in the home. So I just use Cat5e cable liberally. I suspect that LiFi will always be used along with WiFi.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:38 AM

4,581 posts, read 8,190,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
With LiFi you would have dozens of sources. Probably all your lightbulbs would be replaced with a LiFi device. You wouldn't have one or two Wireless Access Points like you do now.

I live in an old house with lots of brick and steel. I have to live with the fact that I won't get cellular signal or WiFi everywhere in the home. So I just use Cat5e cable liberally. I suspect that LiFi will always be used along with WiFi.
Pretty much this. Also, it doesn't have to be direct line of sight to the light source. So I can have a light around the corner, and still receive/send data if that light is visible to my device (albeit I'm sure the bandwidth would be less).

On the other hand, since it works via light, interference can also come from a stronger light source in the vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet