U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:26 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times

Advertisements

How much is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:53 AM

3,547 posts, read 5,683,767 times
It depends. If someone has had FiOS at your house in the past it's fairly simple. If not, it's fairly complicated:

They have to come out and bury a new fiber optic cable between a junction box in your neighborhood and your house.
Then they have to install new equipment on / in your house to connect that fiber optic cable to the network in your house (called an ONT), and possibly run new wires inside the house to connect the router to the ONT.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 AM

4,653 posts, read 4,907,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It depends. If someone has had FiOS at your house in the past it's fairly simple. If not, it's fairly complicated:

They have to come out and bury a new fiber optic cable between a junction box in your neighborhood and your house.
Then they have to install new equipment on / in your house to connect that fiber optic cable to the network in your house (called an ONT), and possibly run new wires inside the house to connect the router to the ONT.

Seriously? That sounds kinda crazy. I think I'll pass. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:54 PM

3,547 posts, read 5,683,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Seriously? That sounds kinda crazy. I think I'll pass. Thanks for the info.
What's crazy about it.

You are probably using DLS or Wireless with NetZero, and those technologies aren't compatible with fiber optic internet (which will outperform anything you are getting from NetZero by a very wide margin).

Old 03-16-2016, 04:12 PM

31,154 posts, read 50,336,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I am thinking of switching to Fio internet as the netzero I use has limited data. What shocks me are the fees to "set up" fios. Why is that? And just what does it take to set this up? It's 2016 it can't be difficult to do.

Any info/input would be great to help me understand why this cost so much.
I am not familiar with them, but a quick look online. $69.96/month for landline phone, DSL and TV signal.

If this is all with fiber-optic into your house, that sounds great.

My DSL is on copper wire. To get landline phone would cost me double what I am paying now.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:26 PM

5,022 posts, read 2,734,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Combi plan from Unitymedia:
- TV
- Phone flat rate
- Internet 60 Mbps

for €24.99 per month
Is the telephone a traditional landline or are you forced to use VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol)?
I want a traditional landline.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 PM

366 posts, read 311,735 times
My guess is, is the trend of people getting rid of cable altogether and using WiFi to stream. Companies are making up for it, by simply hiking your internet costs.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:20 PM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I want a traditional landline.
Why?

Old 03-18-2016, 01:33 PM

31,154 posts, read 50,336,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why?
Most townships in my area do not have cellphone towers, their primary method of communication is via land-line.

My township has the interstate I-95 cutting through our town. I-95 has cellphone towers at about 5 mile intervals all along, so towns that the interstate goes through benefit by having cellphone usage. Townships that do not have the interstate can only get cellphone towers if they have a much higher population-density.

The majority of townships in my state have far too low population to justify cellphone coverage. If we did not have the interstate here we would not have cellphone signal.

In 2005 we used a landline here. Later as the cellphone towers came on-line we were able to shift to using cellphones, but only if we stay within towns that have signal obviously.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 PM

5,022 posts, read 2,734,696 times
Default I have two landlines and multiple jacks throughout the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why?

I much prefer a traditional landline telephone for numerous reasons. (I also have cell phones from two companies, and I use and can compare the technologies.)

Here are some of my reasons for preferring landlines:

1. Excellent voice quality, consistent throughout the entire house.
2. Two of the landline phones do not require an electric "brick" to function, so they are reliable whenever the electric company goes out (at least once a season, if not more).
3. The handsets are much more comfortable to hold, especially if I need to "scrunch" up against my neck briefly.
4. Landlines are considered to be more secure, better for financial transactions.
5. I like having redundant systems. If one technology "burps," the others are backups.
6. Security (I won't go into all the reasons or details, so don't ask for further explanation).
7. I added many single and dual line jacks when they were inexpensive, and can always have a phone anyplace I may need or want one, in any room. (Yes, bathroom, too.)
8. Voice messages left on the landline system are better than what's on cell phones, and there's no need to call a central number or push keys to get to the message.
9. Speakerphone quality is much better, and on some phones even full duplex.
10. I know the phone company wants me to go to digital voice and employ fewer employees to take care of my old landline. I know the guys like their jobs working in the field. I like "my crew" of phone guys and know that they keep their jobs the more landline customers there are. (I like local people to have good-paying jobs.)
11. I love my dedicated plain paper fax attached to the landline.

That's enough for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or