Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The grandfathered plans are pre-Verizon.
Some are (we were Alltel customers before Verizon bought them out), but they were offered by Verizon until some time in 2011 or 2012 IICR (about the time that the LTE mass roll out happened), and then last year there was a short period where you could add a new unlimited line to your existing unlimited plan by buying a new iPhone 6, and adding it to your plan with a new line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 07:41 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Yea, my wife's UDP (Unlimited Data) was not pre-VZW. They used to have a plan where you pay like $30 for xx amount of calling minutes and text msgs. Then another $30 for Unlimited.
Crazy right? LOL

Old 03-02-2016, 08:06 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most carriers do not allow you to use your phone as a hotspot without adding it to your plan. It is bundled with some plans, however... but not unlimited.
you have a choice to buy the carriers data add-on hotspot app (either a one-time fee or recurring monthly charge) or you can install an alternate os that has that functionality built into the menu. nothing illegal about it (its like choosing to change the oil in your car yourself; but sometimes its easier just to pay someone to do it) but it used to be that carriers would cancel contracts for those that used a lot of data. nowadays, most carriers dont care much anymore.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:27 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
you have a choice to buy the carriers data add-on hotspot app (either a one-time fee or recurring monthly charge) or you can install an alternate os that has that functionality built into the menu. nothing illegal about it (its like choosing to change the oil in your car yourself; but sometimes its easier just to pay someone to do it) but it used to be that carriers would cancel contracts for those that used a lot of data. nowadays, most carriers dont care much anymore.
You should read your terms. Most plan terms state that the hotspot add-on is required for using your phone as a hotspot. Traditionally, the the hotspot was a service that was offered by the providing. I'm not sure about your country, but in the United States it is actually illegal to steal service from a service provider. So for most people on this forum, it's worth calling the provider to double-check before you do something illegal.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:39 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
^ violating terms of service is not a criminal act (e.g.- being a troll on c-d is against the tos but wont get one arrested, unfortunately).
climbing a telefone pole and attaching free cable to my house is theft of services and is probably a felony.
but i pay for cable-tv and i use co-ax to be able to watch it on several tv's within my house (i'm supposed to pay an additional 2.50 per outlet according to my cable contract). if found out they would cancel my service but i dont think it could be a police matter.

climbing a cellular tower and somehow modifying it to allow your cell-fone to make free calls would be theft of services. extending my subscribed service to other devices is against the terms of service but is not theft.
[/ianal]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet