U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 11:20 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,046,780 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to size up the pros & cons of WordPress vs. Blogspot.

I'm looking for a blog host that is relatively basic in layout and maintenance; I'm hoping to post a pic & entry about once a week. Will want the option for visitors to both comment & subscribe. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not finding definitive answers online, or many personal testimonials regarding which is better. (I'm also open to other blog hosting services..)

If I use a paid blog service, will all content disappear if/when I stop paying for it (?) Same question for free blog.. Will it stay up & accessible, if I stop posting for a long time (?)

Please advise.. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 02:30 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
double post

Old 03-01-2016, 02:33 PM

If you are serious about this do it right from the start. For about $5 a month you can get you own domain and hosting package, this gives you 100% full control of everything. Within the control panel they will have options to install something like Wordpress. I would suggest downloading the software yourself and installing it yourself. Updating the software is your responsibility and you are going to want to learn the basics of what you need to do so you might well start right off the bat. This is usually not so difficult if you can read.

In any event if you opt for some other service make sure they are using software that can be downloaded by you like Wordpress. Also make sure and you can exporting the database and unique uploaded files. You can always move it somewhere else in the future then.

Avoid anything proprietary or sites that do not give you full access to the database and unique files.

Quote:
If I use a paid blog service, will all content disappear if/when I stop paying for it (?)
If you are using a paid host typically they will suspend the account for non payment and the content will not be accessible until you pay. They might hold it for 30 days or whatever but this is going to vary, once the account is dropped the content is removed entirely. As long you can export the database and unique files you can always set it up somewhere else because you'll have a copy on your computer to recreate it.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:56 PM

Coal, thanks for your response.

Another question I have if someone can advise.. Is there a difference between how tags from a paid blog (vs. free blog), would be searched & honored by search engines. Would a tagged topic/subject from a paid blog be found more easily than a free blog, or is it a push.
I feel stupid having to ask these questions in a forum. But I'm finding some of the blog services want to gather my personal info & email before I can see what I'm signing up for.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:50 PM

I wouldn't know but I suspect it wouldn't matter for search engine like Google, you might get more exposure from a popular service because of the internal search engine.

What I can tell you is use good titles, unique/good content and everything else will follow if you can attract an audience.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:22 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,401,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Coal, thanks for your response.

Another question I have if someone can advise.. Is there a difference between how tags from a paid blog (vs. free blog), would be searched & honored by search engines. Would a tagged topic/subject from a paid blog be found more easily than a free blog, or is it a push.
I feel stupid having to ask these questions in a forum. But I'm finding some of the blog services want to gather my personal info & email before I can see what I'm signing up for.
There's no difference. It doesn't matter if it's a free blog or paid blog, search engines don't know that, they just search for the tags.

As for personal information, the only one who should have that is your hosting company, if you buy your own domain name. You can also ask them, (some will do it, some won't), for them to use THEIR info in the "WhoIs" info.

If any blogging software is asking you for your info, and it's free sofware, move on to the next one. You shouldn't have to use your info to get on WordPress. The only time you should be giving anyone any info is if you're paying them.

Also, learn the art of the tag. Too many people do not understand HOW to tag correctly. That's how you get people to your site. How you keep them there is what the poster above said...but to get them there, you need to know how to tag the right way.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
learn the art of the tag.. to get them there, you need to know how to tag the right way.
Help me out GatorMama.. elaborate on tagging the right way.
I appreciate any advisement..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet