U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:30 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,985,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I was going to post a similar topic. Right now I'm looking at ways to supplement my income. I've looked at everything from vending machines to blogging to web design. My goal is get a good return on the time I spend, whatever time that may be. It would make sense that the vast majority of blogs make next to nothing so I'm assuming if you really want to make money you better blog about something really interesting or else it'll be a waste of time. I'd probably blog about something to do with finances, being an accountant. Unfortunately I'm not an expert at any one thing and accountants like me are a dime a dozen. There's no way I can be a "life coach" or anything like that. Does anyone have a money making blog? What do you write about?
If you know how to web design, that probably has the best bang for the buck in terms of time spent vs return. Blogging can get in more money but the upfront time required is a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 AM

3,269 posts, read 4,897,584 times
Let me tell you a short story about a membership site who Google penalized in 2014. It started in 2010 as a forum, then it got popular. The owner needed cash to keep it running. People contributed some funds, which helped, but it wasn't truly enough. So, an add-on service was added: And that service was all about copyediting overseas articles (mostly from India and Pakistan). However, that 'service' was [for lack of a better word] "a front for something else". And that 'something else' was frowned upon by Google. (Too esoteric to explain it here, sorry. Please don't ask. I don't have the time)

So Google penalized the site permanently in March 2014, meaning even if you Google the name of the site, it won't show up on a Google search result page, but the actual site still exists. That's the severity of a Google penalty. Oddly enough, Google allows the aforementioned penalized site to still have a presence on GooglePlus. Moral of the story: Don't try to game the Google algorithms (which don't stay the same anyway!) just to appear on page one of Google; and don't allude to quasi-promises related to better rankings or appearing on page one, etc., etc. Google despises that crap.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:20 AM

3,269 posts, read 4,897,584 times
By the way, that add-on service was mighty popular in India and Pakistan, and for awhile, the site I'm talking about was making mucho income. It was irresistible to bloggers in India and Pakistan for multiple reasons: The top reasons being: (1) It polished up their copy so that Google's algorithms couldn't devalue their articles soley based on substandard English and (2) the 'other' benefit which I will not speak of here in this forum. P.S.: The tidal waves of income this site saw was all before the advent of the Google Hummingbird algorithm. Google it if you don't know what that is. P.S.: Now the site can't even rub two nickels together. Feast to famine. Let that be a lesson. By the way, that "other benefit" wasn't anything dark like human trafficking or whatever. You can say it was dark digital marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or