U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:43 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,551,841 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed down my choices to 1password, keepass, and dashlane4. I know keepass is free but the reviews I read about it was that while it seems to be very secure, the user interface isn't as user friendly as some of the other password managers. This is important to me because I'm probably just an average user who doesn't know very much about online security, although I try to read as much as I can sometimes the terminology is beyond my comprehension. So from what I understand it's better to have your password "vault" stored locally (ex. your computer or a USB) rather than the password manager's server (ex. The Cloud) right? Unless of course you don't trust yourself to maintain the security of your computer or USB drive. Anyone have any experience with Dashlane4? While not free I've heard really good things about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 12:27 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,675,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I've narrowed down my choices to 1password, keepass, and dashlane4. I know keepass is free but the reviews I read about it was that while it seems to be very secure, the user interface isn't as user friendly as some of the other password managers. This is important to me because I'm probably just an average user who doesn't know very much about online security, although I try to read as much as I can sometimes the terminology is beyond my comprehension. So from what I understand it's better to have your password "vault" stored locally (ex. your computer or a USB) rather than the password manager's server (ex. The Cloud) right? Unless of course you don't trust yourself to maintain the security of your computer or USB drive. Anyone have any experience with Dashlane4? While not free I've heard really good things about it.
This is why I was pointing out the attractive and easily understood features of 1Password's user interface. If you just go there and read a bit, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Have you thought any more about downloading the free trial of 1Password?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
This is why I was pointing out the attractive and easily understood features of 1Password's user interface. If you just go there and read a bit, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Have you thought any more about downloading the free trial of 1Password?
Yeah, I'll probably download the free trial. I don't mind paying (I think it was a one time fee) for a secure password manager that's easy to use, as to me it's worth it.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:11 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Sorry, but that's pure garbage. 1Pass might have a BETTER UI, but Keepass isn't even remotely hard to use.
Get Keepass, get going, save the $50 and let's shut this thread down.
Seriously, give yourself a little credit. The UI isn't even remotely hard to figure out. It's free, why haven't you at least TRIED it already?!?!

I was going to take a screenshot on my phone and show you how simple it is...but Keepass won't let me take a screenshot. That's how secure it is. If someone got into my phone or loaded a screen cap logger on it, they couldn't even screenshot my password database...

Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 AM

1,294 posts, read 630,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea I mean there's no reason not to, I suppose.
That's just one rule I've always used. ALWAYS have a unique password for email. Don't use that one on any other site.
I use the same 3 passwords for everything. But my banks and email only I use different passwords.
I retract my last statement.
I don't think you have to retract your last statement.

In regards to thecoalman, the advice you're giving will keep you "secure" at the expense of wasting a lot of time.

Cormac Herley from Microsoft did a study on this that you can read about here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndNoThanks.pdf
Quote:
Let’s examine the incremental cost/benefit tradeoff
for a user who wishes to comply with Rule 7, i.e. he will
no longer re-use passwords across sites. As estimated by
Florˆencio and Herley a typical user has 25 accounts and
6.5 passwords, each used at 3.9 sites (implying a lack
of compliance with Rule 7). Thus, to comply ∆Cost
becomes a 3.9× magnification of the number of passwords
he must choose and remember. What can we
say of ∆Benefit; i.e. what risk is eliminated? Without
observing Rule 7, if the user shares the same password
between sites A and B, and the password from A is compromised
and the one from B is not, and the attacker
knows his userID at site B, then the site B account is
exposed. So this is the risk eliminated in observing Rule
7. This would appear to include only the cases where
the user is phished (rather than keylogged) or a rogue
employee steals the credentials from A. This appears
a minor reduction of risk for a 3.9× magnification of
password management effort.
Finally, none of Rules 1-5 help at all against phishing
and keylogging; i.e. the advice is moot and the entirety
of the effort wasted against these threats. Rules 6 and
7 are of marginal benefit. Thus, even if a user strictly
observes each of the rules indicated above they are by
no means safe from exploits that involve password theft"
I would conclude from this that users would be at a better compromise following a tailored rule (such as unique password for email/ebay/amazon) than applying some drastic measure such as a unique password across all accounts.

In response to the question at hand, I recommend LastPass or KeePass.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:14 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,675,445 times
Here's another reason I recommend 1Password. the Agilebits forum...https://discussions.agilebits.com

Old 03-15-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Sorry, but that's pure garbage. 1Pass might have a BETTER UI, but Keepass isn't even remotely hard to use.
Get Keepass, get going, save the $50 and let's shut this thread down.
Seriously, give yourself a little credit. The UI isn't even remotely hard to figure out. It's free, why haven't you at least TRIED it already?!?!

I was going to take a screenshot on my phone and show you how simple it is...but Keepass won't let me take a screenshot. That's how secure it is. If someone got into my phone or loaded a screen cap logger on it, they couldn't even screenshot my password database...
Good point. I'm going to try both 1Password and Keepass. I just want to make sure I pick the best one because I intend to use this for a long time.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:14 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Currently I have all my passwords written down on a single piece of paper, obviously not ideal were something to happen to that piece of paper. What I'm looking for is just a place to store my passwords. I don't need anything that autofills them for me when I visit websites. I plan to use this as a backup to what I have written down, so that if my paper gets lost I have the passwords stored someplace else. What I'm worried about is someone hacking into the password storage and having access to all my passwords. That would be a disaster. I've heard about sites like 1password and Keypass but I still don't know what to use. How are your passwords usually stored? On a server where if a hacker gained access he could compromise your passwords? Anyone have any advice? I've been wanting to do this a long time as I know I'm taking a risk having all my passwords on that one piece of paper.
At work, we use a company called Pleasant, where all of our passwords and logins are stored "in the cloud". But for home use, I just use Keypass.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:45 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Here's another reason I recommend 1Password. the Agilebits forum...https://discussions.agilebits.com
Because they have a FORUM!?!? If this software is SO easy to use...why do you need a forum?? hehehe j/k

Keepass has a forum too:
https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/

What else ya' got?

Dear OP;

One person is recommending 1Password. At least 6 have recommended Keepass.

~FIN~

Old 03-15-2016, 12:27 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
Good discussion. You've got me considering using one of those programs instead of relying on Waterfox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet