Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:10 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Looked up TrueCrypt. Found this:

TrueCrypt

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

Yikes?
The people who can bust truecrypt are not likely to be stealing computers or usb drives of people like you or me unless we are committing federal crimes. It is still good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 07:50 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
TOtally agree TrueCrypt is more then good enough for 90% of end users.

There's always VeraCrypt if you want something that's still maintained. (Based on True).

Old 03-23-2016, 08:03 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt have the same vulnerabilities.... which aren't anything the average user should be concerned about. Even for this one vulnerability, there's best practices to eliminate it.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:22 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I just memorize mine.

My passwords are usually just a seemingly random jumbled mess of letters and numbers. They do mean something to me however, which is how I'm able to remember them. However even my significant other would never be able to figure it out.

Wz4fgR4ws2Q!$ for example.

I have three of them depending on which sites I'm on. Banking and personal stuff gets one. Forums gets another. Generic websites I won't ever visit more than once gets a 3rd.

My work passwords are a 4th and 5th set of random garbled numbers. They make me change it every 90 days so One particular digit gets rotated.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I just memorize mine.

My passwords are usually just a seemingly random jumbled mess of letters and numbers. They do mean something to me however, which is how I'm able to remember them. However even my significant other would never be able to figure it out.

Wz4fgR4ws2Q!$ for example.

I have three of them depending on which sites I'm on. Banking and personal stuff gets one. Forums gets another. Generic websites I won't ever visit more than once gets a 3rd.

My work passwords are a 4th and 5th set of random garbled numbers. They make me change it every 90 days so One particular digit gets rotated.
You're lucky your workplace IT department is lazy. Many places I've worked would not allow that.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You're lucky your workplace IT department is lazy. Many places I've worked would not allow that.
At my workplace, it varies by system. Sometimes a system will allow that sort of thing, but most will not allow a password which is substantially similar to a previous password. Or the past 40 previous passwords, etc.

My password manager (in my case KeePass) is my savior. :-)

Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
That's what I remember.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:59 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I don't make my end users ever change their passwords. If you really break it down, it really is kind of senseless. I make my end users make VERY complicated passwords, but they never have to change them unless our systems gets compromised (and it hasn't in 9 years).

Even my man Bruce mostly agrees with me.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...ng_passwo.html

As he points out the rationale behind the 90-expiration is that it would limit the amount of time someone could use that info to hack you.
- If someone hacks into your corporate network with stolen creds, they are going to install malware or some other such junk on your network and will no longer need access to your creds.
- If someone hacks into your bank account, they are going to steal your money. You will know right away you have been compromised.

All 90 day expiry's do is annoy end users.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't make my end users ever change their passwords. If you really break it down, it really is kind of senseless. I make my end users make VERY complicated passwords, but they never have to change them unless our systems gets compromised (and it hasn't in 9 years).

Even my man Bruce mostly agrees with me.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...ng_passwo.html

As he points out the rationale behind the 90-expiration is that it would limit the amount of time someone could use that info to hack you.
- If someone hacks into your corporate network with stolen creds, they are going to install malware or some other such junk on your network and will no longer need access to your creds.
- If someone hacks into your bank account, they are going to steal your money. You will know right away you have been compromised.

All 90 day expiry's do is annoy end users.
What if someone hacked in, stole the credentials and then decided to sell them? They could potentially be on the market for quite some time.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
What if someone hacked in, stole the credentials and then decided to sell them? They could potentially be on the market for quite some time.
Change them every 6 months, maybe. I used to have over 100 passwords at work between the mainframe systems, Solaris and Linux servers, and various web applications. Thankfully, some of them were synched in terms of password change schedules, so I could draw up a table and change a series of servers to a related pattern in one shot. Not the same PW, but one I could logically derive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet