Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times

Advertisements

Seriously!!! It is a necessary evil and there are times I hate using it.

(1) I was out of work for almost 2 years, and spent endless hours sending resumes, filling out applications, doing "skills testing" online. I can confidently say 98 % of those recruiters/companies never responded to my submissions. The internet is a tool to hide behind and not have to have contact with anyone. I know agencies "screen applicants" via email - and send out fake jobs to get resumes - but come on people - at least respond with an answer "resume received" email so you know it was received. Try to fill out unemployment documents and say "I don't know who I sent it to, but I sent it".....

(2) I am currently looking for a house to rent - in a large city - not small town and cannot get a person to speak with directly to answer my questions. Businesses use phone trees - and voice mail to "screen calls" but never respond. I have submitted requests for info online, in voice mails and no response.

Human interaction has deteriorated. We are all so absorbed in our smart phone, tablets, smart TV's we don't know how to interact with other people. Our children see us constantly looking at our phones, and are learning to do the same thing. Kids don't know how to play anymore, they have no idea how to use their imaginations. Whatever they are playing with has to "do" something to entertain them....

thank you,

off my soap box now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 04:20 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,367 times
I completely agree

Old 03-10-2016, 04:51 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
Agreed. And any communication at work is done via IM or email or phone and just today I had issues with all the innuendo and non physical cues and passive agressiveness. Gawd.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:23 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
None of that sounds like it was something "the internet" did. People were responsible for the problems you describe. If there were no internet, they would have found other ways to be annoying. It is people that are the problem. The internet is just the conduit they currently use to implement their poor business and social skills.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:00 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I help people fill out job applications. I hate the psychological questions different companies use, but it sure is nice to apply to many jobs in a short time, and not use gas, or sit in traffic.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:24 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I like the internet. A lot.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:34 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
I'm 70 and never owned a computer until about 12 years ago. One night, before I had mine, I went to my Son's house for a visit and he sat me down at his computer and put me on Ebay. I spent the whole visit playing on his computer and ended up buying one the next week.

While I realize it has it's issues and has desensitized a lot of us by making us send messages rather than talking face to face, it is also a wealth of information. When I first heard President Clinton talking about the Information Highway, it went right over my head, but I have grown to really like using mine and use it for information, entertainment, and as a learning tool.

If I want to fix something I have never repaired or cook something new, I turn to YouTube and in a second I have a lot of good answers at my finger tips.

However, I still do not text and probably never will.

Don

Old 03-12-2016, 08:15 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I help people fill out job applications. I hate the psychological questions different companies use, but it sure is nice to apply to many jobs in a short time, and not use gas, or sit in traffic.
I was out of work late 2014-mid 2015 and I did appreciate being able to scour the internet and send out apps all over the place. Of course tons of people are doing the same thing so it could take quite a while before I heard form anyone, but not always.

A friend and I were talking about how different it is now from the days when you could walk into a place, fill out an application, be interviewed the same day and walk out with a job. (Not saying it doesn't ever happen now, but for me that hasn't occurred in a long, long time.)

Old 03-12-2016, 10:07 PM

38 posts, read 25,881 times
I agree with you but I think internet has positive sites too. I have been working as a part time freelancer for more than three years. I am thankful to internet.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:43 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Seriously!!! It is a necessary evil and there are times I hate using it.

(1) I was out of work for almost 2 years, and spent endless hours sending resumes, filling out applications, doing "skills testing" online. I can confidently say 98 % of those recruiters/companies never responded to my submissions. The internet is a tool to hide behind and not have to have contact with anyone. I know agencies "screen applicants" via email - and send out fake jobs to get resumes - but come on people - at least respond with an answer "resume received" email so you know it was received. Try to fill out unemployment documents and say "I don't know who I sent it to, but I sent it".....

Human interaction has deteriorated. We are all so absorbed in our smart phone, tablets, smart TV's we don't know how to interact with other people. Our children see us constantly looking at our phones, and are learning to do the same thing. Kids don't know how to play anymore, they have no idea how to use their imaginations. Whatever they are playing with has to "do" something to entertain them....

I really often miss the days when the internet was new. I say this all the time but I don't see how I will ever get a job when they have most applications online with those stupid tests. It makes me soooo mad!! I have discovered that sometimes I can't even get past with my coach and she knows how to pass those tests obv so the computer must automatically screen you if you don't have the experience they are looking for. What's worse is these are entry level jobs so why you would get screened for that I don't know. There are things that have improved as technology has progressed obviously but I wish they would keep the technology out of the job seeking process somehow. The only plus side is I don't have to worry about my penmanship.

You're right that kids aren't the same anymore. I remember when I was little I would always go outside and play on my swingset playhouse etc. You're only young once so I don't know why you wouldn't enjoy this time you have had...save some of the technology time for when you get older.
But I would not blame the internet or technology for lack of imagination. They just don't know how to use it right. I have been using computers almost all my life..my imagination hasn't gone anywhere. It's merely just a tool. For me computers have been a way to make my imagination come to life. I haven't read any in a long time because I never get to take the time anymore but after I stopped reading books as much, I discovered fanfics so I never lost my love for reading. I just found a new medium to enjoy it on. It was nice to have such a vast collection of things to read.
Also I don't know about anyone else but I'm sure I would be the same without computers except maybe more bored and depressed if anything. I was never a good verbal speaker. It took a while for social media to develop so I could not use computers to talk to people but yet I was considered the shy kid and had some speech problems. It was a god send when I found out that I could talk to people through written form instantaneously. I could not say all this that I'm saying to you right now in this amount of time to someone in person. It would probably take me twice as long. At the very least I would not say it with such precision. Once I learned how to type it doesn't take so long to text or post. So maybe some people are just naturally better at talking this way. I do know that it can be a bad thing at times because it can be isolating however it is not always bad. You can talk to people all around the world without spending a cent right from your home. Basically it's merely just a modernized version of writing a letter and sending it through the mail and there was no harm in writing letters was there?
I do think sometimes it is best to limit it. I don't like to use my phone much on vacation. I have used it to take a few pictures or look up things at the hotel but that's about it. I would actually like to switch off more because I have gotten really tired of making money on the internet cuz I get such little pay but I don't know what else to do. If I had a gig to replace it that would be great. It's basically like the internet has made me hate the internet in a way because if it wasn't for the job process being online I wouldn't be doing lame things online to make money maybe so even though I am a techno geek, I can still sympathize with you about it being a necessary evil.

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-12-2016 at 11:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet