U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 02:15 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,225,946 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So I live in a small town in CT and the only cable provider for my area has been Cox. I hate, hate, hate Cox Network! They are charging me nearly $200/month for internet, cable, and a landline.

Because of my job, I travel a lot and am rarely home and so I want to end things with them. They have told me repeatedly that to even just to downgrade my service, I will be required to pay a $160 early termination fee.

Ridiculous!

Today, I got a letter in the mail from my local cell phone provider, offering me a cheap cable deal with Direct TV. I called Direct TV and they're offering everything I need for less than 75% of what I pay for cable with Cox. And they confirmed that they service my area!! However, Direct TV does not offer internet services, and told me that I will be directed to set up internet services with Hughes Network.

I just read reviews online about Hughes, and see that they are beyond horrible.

Do you or anyone you know have Hughes network? What has been your experience? Are there any other options in terms of getting decent internet service independently of a cable company?

Last edited by erjunkee; 03-19-2016 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 02:30 PM

18,511 posts, read 55,427,357 times
I had it. Dumped it. Those reviews are correct. I'd drive 20 miles to a free wifi spot before I would use them again.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,538,404 times
If you don't want cable for internet and not interested in sat service, look at wireless providers like T-Mobile, NetZero, freedompop

Old 03-20-2016, 10:54 AM

4,581 posts, read 8,190,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Hi All,

So I live in a small town in CT and the only cable provider for my area has been Cox. I hate, hate, hate Cox Network! They are charging me nearly $200/month for internet, cable, and a landline.

Because of my job, I travel a lot and am rarely home and so I want to end things with them. They have told me repeatedly that to even just to downgrade my service, I will be required to pay a $160 early termination fee.

Ridiculous!

Today, I got a letter in the mail from my local cell phone provider, offering me a cheap cable deal with Direct TV. I called Direct TV and they're offering everything I need for less than 75% of what I pay for cable with Cox. And they confirmed that they service my area!! However, Direct TV does not offer internet services, and told me that I will be directed to set up internet services with Hughes Network.

I just read reviews online about Hughes, and see that they are beyond horrible.

Do you or anyone you know have Hughes network? What has been your experience? Are there any other options in terms of getting decent internet service independently of a cable company?
How much longer is your contract? If you have a good bit to go, paying $160 to end things my be better than paying $200 for the next X number of months.

If you travel and don't really use the cable/landline aspect, I'd second d4g4ms' suggestion of looking at wireless providers. I have a mobile hotspot provided by work. It's on an unlimited plan with Verizon that costs $40 a month. Now, we have a business contract with them, so not sure how much discount is included in that. But it doesn't hurt to ask. And with a hotspot, you can take it with you and use it on your travels.

Stay away from Hughes. Not only is the product inferior, their customer service/billing is abysmal.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:20 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,225,946 times
thanks everyone, for your suggestions

I'm 9 months into my 2 year contract.

I'll look into the suggestions above. I dont' want to pay the $160. But, if I don't, I'll be paying $200/month for 15 more months. What a rip off! Unfortunately cox cable has a monopoly on 99% cable/phone/internet services in my small tow,n so it's hard to find other viable options, even if they do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet